fiberglass boats + lightning = ????

Does anyone know if being in a fiberglass boat while on the water makes you an attractant to lightning or are you pretty safe? Fiberglass is not a great conductor so if you lay down in the boat if you get caught in a storm would it be ok to wait it out or get the hell outta there?

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: fiberglass boats + lightning = ????

Unless you have a desire to end up like the deer in your sig pic, I'd keep an eye out on the weather and head to safety before I had an opportunity to test your theory...
waggingfingersmiley-1.gif

Philster

Captain

You are in danger in a fiberglass boat with lightning around. Get out of there.

You are not made safe by the fiberglass.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Think about it this way...lightning usually is attracted to the tallest things around. Unless there's something on the water taller than you, then tag...you're it.

P.S. Why in the world is that deer sleeping there?

shwoop_soobie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sometimes its hard to get off the lake for a quick thunderstorm to roll through, especially if it is the beginning of a muti day trip, but there are precautions you can take...

those links that were posted have a some really good stuff in them...

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

fishing poles are good lightning rods-:eek: get off the water.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We had this topic at work not too long ago.

I posed the idea, one of those quick t-storms build up and you're headed back to the dock. But it seems to be getting dangerous. Lighting like crazy.
Do you keep heading to the dock? Or turn to the small island in the middle of the river. (I suppose you could just hit the river bank too) and wait it out?

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

I spend a lot of time long distance racing sailboats. Some fiberglass, some aluminum, and some are carbon fiber. Regardless of the hull material, all of them will have either a carbon or aluminum lightning rod sticking up in the air.

I find myself offshore in severe weather several times per year and I have far more concern for looking out for the other boaters we share the water with. We don't stop racing because of bad weather. When the powerboaters and fisherman run for shore we're just starting to have fun. I'm far more likely to be injured or killed by another boater than by mother nature.

I've never been on one that's been hit, but I know people who have. Worst damage is usually several thousand dollars worth of electronics fried. Occasionally a thru-hull will blow out (you have soft wooden plugs lashed to all your thru-hulls, right?). Carbon boats are usually an insurance write off due to the damage to the laminate.

YOU are ultimately responsible for your vessel and her passengers. If you are uncomfortable, unprepared, or inexperienced, get off the water when the weather looks unpleasant. If you don't know Colregs/Inland waterway rules, light signals and shapes, or how to properly navigate without electronics, stick to the small ponds until you learn. Classes are available and tons of books are out there. Inexperienced boaters are a huge drain on rescue resources such as local PD, DNR, and the Coast Guard. Do your part to be the solution and not the problem.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

If your craft gets hit by lightning, (or even close ) it will NOT be a pleasant experience. Keep a weather eye and if it looks threatening seek shelter.
We (some of my fishing buddies) had this arguement about rod material, carbon, fiberglass, bamboo, and frankly....if you are holding a stick that gets hit by 50 million volts, what that stick is made of isn't going to matter at all.
Same holds true for a boat although it may be less than lethal, you're not going to want a repeat performance.:D

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

fiberglass is MORE dangerous. Think of it in terms of a house. If you have a lightning rod on your house (big piece of grounded metal sticking up), that rod is working to dissipate the charge before you are hit. Its purpose is NOT to be the primary target, it prevents that.

Anyway, in a metal hull the boat itself is a lightning rod and you don't have as much chance. Fiberglass = no lightning rod. The highest point (your head) takes the hit!

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When we kept our boat at Belle Maer Harbor in Mi. lightening hit a friends boat and jumped over to the next boat and damaged both of them. No one was on them at the time.
You can't win when it comes to thousands of volts of Electricity, head to shore ASAP.

koko1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What about tying up under a small bridge?.. There are numerous bridges where we boat most of the time... Most are small and you may have 5-10 feet above your head of clearance.. Would that be a dumb decision if no other cover was available? I have been caught in a thunderstorm 1 time and sought shelter in someone's boat house they left opened up and no boat in it... Sat in there for about 30 minutes until it passed, then drove away