Feeling nervous about my boat :(

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, before winter came, I bought my first boat. I have always borrowed my fathers boat for the last 15 years, so winterizing was not my problem. Now owning my own boat I'm nervous I didn't winterize itcorrectly seeing that where I stored my boat has been in the lower 20's many times lately. I wont be bringing the boat home for another month or two to verify the motor survived. Just curious what I can expect once I do fire it up again.

I researched all threw the forums on the right way to winterize and watched many videos. After changing all fluids and filling the gas tank, what I did is buy a large winterizing container and filled it with 6 jugs of RV antifreeze. Ran motor with ear muffs till at warmest temp on gauge, and then tuned valve to flow the antifreeze into the ear muffs. Let it run till it was all gone, then once it was near empty, I sprayed the fogging oil into carb to kill motor. Now, seeing many posts about leaving the motor full of antifreeze or leaving it dry, I figured I would just drain it. So, I pulled block plugs and manifold plugs and let it all drain. One thing I wish I had done is drain the hoses. Is it possible to crack the hoses or water pump by not draining them even if I left just antifreeze inside ? When I run the boat for the first time after this winter, anything special that needs to be done ? Just really worried on doing it right.

thanks.....

2002 Monterey 190 with Volvo 5.0
photodfh.jpg

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Feeling nervous about my boat :(

If you followed the winterizing procedures for your engine, and did not miss anything, you will be fine.

The air vs. antifreeze debate is an endless one, and both sides are right. If you winterize with antifreeze properly, your engine will be protected. If you winterize by draining the engine, your engine will be protected. I personally do both - I drain the engine using the block drains, remove hoses to the raw water pump and circulation pump, and even go so far as to remove the thermostat housing and draining the intake manifold that way. Then I pour antifreeze directly into the block where the tstat housing bolts to it. This way I don't need to worry whether the tstat was open or not. The only reason I use the antifreeze at all is to add some element of corrosion protection. I don't prefer the method you used, but it has been used by many, many people without issue. Its just not as "foolproof", I suppose.

Anyway, you should be fine. If there's damage, its too late to do something anyway. But, I highly doubt there is based on what you've posted.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

No expert here... but in my humble opinion i think you will be ok only becouse where you live. Now if you were here in ohio id say your screwed.

With some of the pink stuff that has mixed with the water it should keep it from freezing solid....At worst a new water pump or heat exchanger replacement...Better than a new block!

Next time do as Bondo always recomends......Air dont freeze......Drain all the water from block/manifolds/hoses and let it be till spring!

Let us know how it turns out.......Good Luck!

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the posts guys........Ooppps, just realized i put this in the wrong discussion forum.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

gapple,, sounds like our good.........Im up in the north east..... used Bondo's "air dont freeze" method. One cant help but be nervous after so many sub 32 days,,, for that matter, around here there was (10) days in the month of Jan that were below zero... come spring when I fire it up...will report on the air dont freeze method myself

jkust

Rear Admiral

Just a comment on the air vs antifreeze...of course the argument is air doesn't freeze so antifreeze is simply money spent for no reason. Interestingly, I've paid for my winterizations at the same place/Marine Max for a long time and for some reason this year...they started adding antifreeze. I didn't realize it until I read the work order later on so never asked why the change.

agallant80

Commander

You are fine. The antifreeze went through the motor and then you drained it. If there is any water left in there which there prob is not it has been diluted by the antifreeze and any ways if a little bit of water did freeze it would have room to expand. I go through this every winter where I worry about the dumbest detail destroying my boat and it never does.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

"I go through this every winter where I worry about the dumbest detail destroying my boat and it never does."

I like that........... I want to join the ranks of......... sit back and relax....... air dont freeze....:D

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

A couple of nights in the 20's in Texas is not likely to get to hard freeze conditions inside the motor. Relax.

agallant80

Commander

"I go through this every winter where I worry about the dumbest detail destroying my boat and it never does."

I like that........... I want to join the ranks of......... sit back and relax....... air dont freeze....:D

Yup I always drain the block of the pink stuff. I went back and forth for years fretting about it. This is now my 4th season winterizing a boat. I have not destroyed one yet. I even was so cocky this year as to just put a full charge on the batterys and disconnect the ground. With that said the boat is only laidup from Nov to late Feb/early march.

bigmikek

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I ruined an engine once not winterizing. NEVER AGAIN. This past fall I tossed and turned after using RV antifreeze and not being sure if it cycled through the engine. So off to the storage barn I went to do it again. Good thing I did. I went with a good boating friend and we drained the block and lo and behold WATER came out. Apparently, the antifreeze ( all 4 gallons ) did not get through the funnel and muffs I used first time around. Thank gawd I went back and did it again before winter with a bucket and bigger hose full of RV antifreeze. This time when I partially drained the block it was all pink antifreeze so I left most of it the block. The stuff won't harm the river when I start it up again so I say leave it in. If you use "real" antifreeze. Don't dump it in the river when you start up. Use a catch pan in the driveway.
I can understand the jitters you have worrying but if you are sure you did it right and all that remains in your block is some RV antifreeze and no water you will be fine. Checking what was in the engine by draining it some after the job was a necessary step for me.

phillyg

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think you'll be fine and are just having the normal concerns that a new boat owner has after doing their first winterization. As long as you followed the correct procedure all you need do is put everything back together and fire it up. Take about 15 minutes thoroughly warming it up and checking for leaks or anything else out of ordinary, then go boating.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Funny thing, this past fall when I brought in my boat, the dealer had a sign up that said they would not be responsible for freeze damage. Usually they have a hard cut off date meaning if you bring your boat in after the date...no guarantee and if you have it winterized prior to the date they will guarantee. It got cold too early. You can imagine my fear then given they had my boat for about 8 weeks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A note to those that rely on running the motor on muffs to get the A-F into the block. That is a "Monte Carlo" gamble, and as such you will lose it one day. I recommend the following:

After you have fogged the engine (warm engine, idling on flusher device), and the engine is now off, remove the flusher and pull the drain plugs on the block (2 on V Engines), and drain plugs on manifold (2 on V engines), and let all the water drain out. Be sure to clean each drain hole with a small screwdriver to help it drain.

Now, if you believe in "Air doesn't freeze" method, you are done. However, I always found residual water in the block, manifolds, power steering cooler and outdrive. To get that water out, dump some full strength A-F down each hose and watch for it to emerge from each drain, the prop hub and the water pump intakes. Now you can probably say all the water is out, however, I always then reinstalled the plugs and filled the block and manifolds, for extra protection.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

my only concern is the power steering cooler in the line from the outdrive to the raw water pump. if you did not drain that, you may have caused some damage to the cooler if it froze.

bigmikek

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I should have mentioned in my post above that the manifolds were drained as well and I did fog and run the engine while putting the RV antifreeze in. I am lucky I don't have to pull plugs, I have a gizmo on mine that is a draining hose system.

drain.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

I should have mentioned in my post above that the manifolds were drained as well and I did fog and run the engine while putting the RV antifreeze in. I am lucky I don't have to pull plugs, I have a gizmo on mine that is a draining hose system.

Ayuh,.... The Problem with Those is,....

If a drain port is plugged, 'n they usually are, ya never Know whether it's really Drained or Not,....

Throw that ship Away, 'n get 2 brass pipe plugs,...
The block takes a 1/4" pipe thread, 'n the manifold is the same, or 1/8" pipe,...

When I pull the Drain Plugs, I Always poke the 'ell out of 'em,...
A SSteel deckscrew lives on My intake manifold, Just for that reason,...
You'd be surprised the amount of Crud hidden in there, besides the water,....

Feeling nervous about my boat :(

Don't worry 'bout it,....

Come May, it'll either be ready to Go,....
Or a in-hull Fountain,...

Frettin' 'bout it, ain't gonna change a Thing now,...

bigmikek

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will do just that. Bondo
Before next season put away anyway. They both appeared to drain just fine. I think this engine only has about 100 hours on it. Thanks for the tip.

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for everyone's comments. I guess if something is wrong, I will find out here soon.

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Been an outboard guy all my life, so naturally, Im worried with my latest purchase having the OMC I/O. I hope its okay. I diluted 6gal of RV A-F on a 1:2 ratio in a large plastic tote. Didnt use muffs, but let the pick-up stay submerged until the weep hole was pissing hot purple liquid. I kept a sample outside all winter and watched as it got slushy, then hard as the temps dropped. Im nervous now.