Feeling blue

tylerin

Commander
One of my passions in life is duck hunting, and my Lab is having difficulty getting around these days. I know as soon as she see's me load up my dekes and my blind she'll go crazy but I don't think she'll be much help. Hate to think of the pain-stakin process of training another. Can't tell you how many conversations we've had, sitting in a blind waiting for the sun to rise. Letting her see another dog go out w/ me will probably break her heart. 2 dogs in a blind is a crowd but it may be my only solution

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: Feeling blue

He said women think about theyselves when menfolk ain't around<br />And friends are hard to find when they discover that you're down<br />He said I tried it all when I was young and in my natural prime<br />Now it's old dogs and children and watermelon wine<br />Old dogs care about you even when you make mistakes<br />God bless little children while they're still too young to hate<br />When he moved away I found my pen and copied down that line<br />'Bout old dogs and children and watermelon wine

SoulWinner

Commander

Tylerin, Sounds like you need a bigger blind. Own that will accomodate two puppies. Sometimes I think dogs preferr canine companionship to mine anyway.

Carphunter

Commander

And here I thought this was gonna be a post about your hat. :p <br /><br />Sorry to hear about your pup. My little rabbit dog died a few years back, and I haven't had the urge to go since. Amazing how attached we get to them furry little critters.<br /><br />On another note, my best buddies Dad died Wednesday. Gonna spend my Friday night at the funeral home. Hate to see my buddy have to go through this. His Dad sure was a great man. Really sux.<br /><br />Guageguy, you need to start another post that will get us to laughing. I sure hate being depressed on a Friday. :(

gaugeguy

Captain

Sorry to derail a little Tylerin,<br /><br />Carpy, my best friends dad is not doing to well, and it sure does really bite to see people you care about go through this.

Carphunter

Commander

Sorry to hear GG. My Dad isn't in very good shape either. He has had numerous strokes, and he takes enough pills to choke a Horse everyday. He's convinced he will not live past 66, (he is 65 now). He gets around alright though. Not a whole lot we can do 'cept pray.<br /><br />Anyway, I'm done with the depressing stuff for now.<br /><br />Lets talk about how Kerry is an idiot........thats always fun. ;)

LadyFish

Admiral

Tylerin, thats really sad. I say bring em both until the old girl just can't get navigate well enough to get in the blind anymore.

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

tylern,<br />I've heard that a young pup will learn from another dog even faster than from his owner. I don't know if that's true or not, but I'd try. <br /><br />I've got a yellow lab. I don't hunt with him, but this dog LIVES to retrieve. He's even gone head first into the surf in the Pacific Ocean. He's my best buddy.

tylerin

Commander

web page Click to see the new addition<br />Looks like Green boy will be in the blind this year. Will have the new pup on Oct. 24th Pulled out the decoys the other day and the ole gal has been running around like a puppy lately. This years blind will be an old guy, an old dog, my 15 yr old son and a new pup. Life goes on

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br /> He said women think about theyselves when menfolk ain't around<br />And friends are hard to find when they discover that you're down<br />He said I tried it all when I was young and in my natural prime<br />Now it's old dogs and children and watermelon wine<br />Old dogs care about you even when you make mistakes<br />God bless little children while they're still too young to hate<br />When he moved away I found my pen and copied down that line<br />'Bout old dogs and children and watermelon wine
Tom T said it right.<br /><br />I know the feeling, Tylerin. Two dogs in a blind is crowded, but She's earned, it, hasn't she?

tylerin

Commander

I know the feeling, Tylerin. Two dogs in a blind is crowded, but She's earned, it, hasn't she?<br />
I'm thinking about a room addition :)

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Well there you go, then. She needs the trip worse than you, probably. :cool:

tylerin

Commander

Old thread update...Well Jan 30th is last day of duck hunting. I'll be bringing my old dog for her last hunt, the new pup (5 months) on his first hunt, my wild enthusiastic son Tyler(15), and myself. I got the pup Oct. 16 and trained him daily til I put him in a "head start" hunt training class were he quickly switched over to the advanced dog training and has been hunting for the past 3 weeks. I pick him back up on Saturday. He's the "real deal". Lets see, a wild pup, a wild kid, an old dog, and an old man. If we get any ducks it'll be a miracle. Just my son and I went hunting last week and lost 2 ducks in the marsh. I won't hunt without a dog again, its inhumane