Favorite Law

18rabbit

Captain
I wanted to take this opportunity to share my most favorite of all the California laws with you. Here it is, verbatim, from the Cal Vehicle Code:<br /><br />Sec 400(d): A farm tractor is not a motorcycle.<br /><br />A hardy “thanks” to all in the California Legislature that spent the time, money, and personal effort to bring this key piece of needed legislation into being. Without your dedication to this worthy cause, I would never have known. Once again, you have save me!!!

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Re: Favorite Law

Rabbit,<br /><br />Thank you. Thank you very much for sharing that insightful and obviously difficult differentiation with regards to the nature of farm equipment and a two wheel pleasure vehicle. I now understand why they don't sell Harley's at the New Holland distributor.<br /><br />I can see why it is your favorite. :p :D

KennyKenCan

Commander

So, just how much did the great state of California spend to determine that?<br /><br />I'll bet almost any amount, that it cost the taxpayers more than $5,000,000 to come to that conclusion!<br /><br />I think it's pretty obvious that most tractors have 4 wheels, which would automatically eliminate it as a canadite for a motorcycle.<br /><br />How and why did this topic come to be discussed and analyized(sp?) by the state legislators is beyond all comprehension!<br /><br />I feel sorry for those who live in California.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I also wonder what brought this to be:perhaps some guy trying to plow with his bike?

SoulWinner

Commander

Oh sure, a farm tractor is NOT a motorcycle; however, that does not necessarily preclude a motorcycle from being a farm tractor. Oh, what are we gonna do now????? :rolleyes:

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

A lot of tractors have 3 wheels...a motorcycle with a sidecar has 3 wheels...and then there's them old harley 3 wheelers...I can understand the confusion...don't you think it's worth 5,000k to clear this up?...just a Thought :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Haven't one much research in this area lately, so I'll tell you of my old favorite.<br /><br />In North Carolina it is illegal to plow cotton with an elephant.<br /><br />Don't know about tobacco, only cotton was mentioned. :)

Trent

Captain

Old law here.. Its against the law to tie your pet alligator up to the "hitching post". Its the law so that means someone did it?? :rolleyes:

18rabbit

Captain

Not necessarily. Could be a fine elected official attempting to protect his constituency from a problem that doesn’t exist. Nah…that’s never happened before. Altho I don’t know what you would call the law in the city of Chico, California. There it’s a $500 fine for detonating your nuclear device inside the city limits. I guess you could call it really big gun control.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by 18rabbit:<br />Not necessarily. Could be a fine elected official attempting to protect his constituency from a problem that doesn’t exist. Nah…that’s never happened before. Altho I don’t know what you would call the law in the city of Chico, California. There it’s a $500 fine for detonating your nuclear device inside the city limits. I guess you could call it really big gun control.
Or, "Who cares, you won't be here anyway" law.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Oh don't get me started on the "nice" laws that are on the books.<br /><br />ok, here's one from Ca.<br /><br />"No vehicle without a driver may exceed 60 miles per hour."

SpinnerBait_Nut

OR:<br /><br />"It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale."

SpinnerBait_Nut

Oh, and here's one from the great state of Texas.<br /><br />"When two trains meet each other at a railroad crossing, each shall come to a full stop, and neither shall proceed until the other has gone."<br /><br />Now one of these 2 train operators needs a sign.<br /><br />Oh don't worry you other states, I will get to you.

Drowned Rat

Captain

In Arizona any misdemeanor committed while wearing a red mask is considered a felony. <br /> :confused:

ob

Admiral

web page<br /><br />Here's a few for everyone .Don't know how accurte they are but ,some are pretty silly.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

This is my absolute favorite..<br /><br />Oklahoma:<br />Whale hunting is strictly forbidden throughout the entire state.<br /> :D

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I once read of a law in PA (I believe).<br /><br />"A man may not brandish a weapon in front of his daughter's suitor."<br /><br />I guess they had one too many shotgun weddings.

Carphunter

Commander

"It is illegal to coon hunt with an endangered species"<br /><br />Lets see, "Hey Maw, you done seen my Rhino, we gots some coon huntin to do". :D

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Recently passed into law here in Florida, It is illegal to cage a pregnant pig. This was done by constitutional amendment. Now consideration is being given to limit the voters rights to amend the constitution. Go figure.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

in new york state it is illeagal to buy Alchohol<br />or beer before noon on sunday or for bars to be open.<br />guess too many folks was missing sunday services<br />100 years ago?