Favorite Fish finders

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am currently looking for a fish finder/depth finder/gps and radio. I have never purchased any of these items before and there are thousands out there. My questions are: Is it better to get as many as possible in one component or seperately. Also what are everyones favorites? Is there one brand in particular that is above the rest or is it more of a model and price thing. The application is for a 22ft v-bottom with an inboard. Price is not a huge issue but I dont want to spend over $800 on the highest end. Thanks for the help. Kep

louUU

Recruit
Re: Favorite Fish finders

Originally posted by KEP:<br /> I am currently looking for a fish finder/depth finder/gps and radio. I have never purchased any of these items before and there are thousands out there. My questions are: Is it better to get as many as possible in one component or seperately. Also what are everyones favorites? Is there one brand in particular that is above the rest or is it more of a model and price thing. The application is for a 22ft v-bottom with an inboard. Price is not a huge issue but I dont want to spend over $800 on the highest end. Thanks for the help. Kep
I am soon going to buy the Garmin 192c.<br />I already have a depth finder.<br />and just felt more comfortable having 2 separate units. <br /><br /> The 198C is the same only it has a depth finder option.<br /><br />The reason I chose the 192/198c is it has all the charts for coastal waterways loaded in already so you don't have to buy them separately.<br />Many of the software for the other units is $150 per chip.<br />Just my thoughts.<br />Good luck.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

First time on this electronics site and have no clue on anything that does not have vacuume tubes. However my thoughts, I remember years ago when people bought that nice piece of furniture with a tv,am-fm,turn table,8 track etc. As systems broke you had to keep the unit to use the other systems. If it were me i would install seperate units. <br /> However what do i know? Have a 2 yr. old hand held GPS still in the box and a 10 lb. black rotary phone next to the computer. Still rely on my compasses. regards FRED

tricks4u

Cadet

I just bought a Lowrance M68C S/Map, in my case the boat is so small the combo unit fits better than having two units. Once I get it hooked up I'll post a review, as of now I'm waiting for Lowrance to send me the transducer I need, this is a saltwater transducer that only gives a 12 degree view but has allows for a deeper scan. The freshwater version gives 20 degrees but does not scan as deep, I fish in the bay, and freshwater only, so I am better suited for the freshwater transducer. One thing I can say is Lowrance has good customer service, I called them with the problem, which was really my fault, I bought the wrong unit. The dealer did not stock a freshwater unit or transducer, so I called Lowrance, they swapped it out by charging me for the new transducer, and mailing it over night with a RGA for the unused transducer, when they get it back, I get a credit for the transducer they mailed me, works for me!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I'm currently running a Sitex 106 MKII but I think the next unit will be a Furuno 600L or a 582 L

Pst76

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was just looking at the Garmin 250 model looks pretty decent and reviews seemed good for the money. I had an older Garmin unit 160 on my previous boat that worked great. Current rig has an Eagle that has a bad screen so need to replace.

jstcrzyengh

Seaman

Fish Finder = Furuno, PERIOD!<br />For inexpensive go with an LS6100 or a 600l<br />If you want the best pick up a 582 (what I run in a 21) and pick up the 600W transducer, go through hull if you can. I run the 1kw transducer, but unless you are doing some SERIOUS fishing you wont need all of that power.

whiteman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Unless you have a space problem, go for separate units as you will upgrade components at different time and 2 x 5" screens beats 1 x 6" screen every time!<br /><br />Sounder<br />Lowrance X135 for mono<br />Lowrance X107 for colour<br />Both do a super job for the price with really easy to use software<br /><br />Chartplotter<br />Navman 5500<br />Lowrance 3500<br /><br />VHF Radio<br />ICOM 302<br /><br />Of course there are hundreds of competing products and it comes down to the best deal at the time.

jheron

Petty Officer 1st Class

I quite like my Humminbird Matrix 12 with the add on gps antena. Very good value and a nice set of options.<br />Jon

BULLWARKS

Petty Officer 1st Class

RAYMARINE DS600 Digital Sounder It's GREAT !

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can debate the pro & con of every unit within a price range. Quality units will generally differ in the bells & whistles, which you must decide which are important to you. The best advice I can give you is, 1) Easy to see, bigger screen is better, & 2) easy to operate, big buttons easy to see & hit dedicated buttons so you don't have to scroll to many times to get what you want. The last thing you want when you're bouncing around & things get nasty is to have to stare at a screen, or hit the wrong button. IMHO, Joe

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Of course all of the above within space & budgit constraints.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I have a Humminbird Matrix 27 that, despite the reputation of Humminbird, has proven to be a fine unit. The only problem I had with it is, like and idiot, I mounted the transducer on the same side as my kicker, and at any rpms that gave me a speed faster than 2 mph caused the screen to fill with fish symbols. Moving the 'ducer to the opposite side as the kicker solved the problem, now I don't get any symbols that doesn't have an arch with it.