favorite dock bait?

gonefishie

Commander
Hey guys, just wondering what your preferred bait and method for flipping and pitching dock? I going to fish a natural lake, gin clear water (literally), the lake is lined with dock all the way around and they are all in less then 5ft of water. These are permanent docks with metal pole so there are no thick wood piling.

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: favorite dock bait?

Watermelon tube hands down. Second would have to be a jig or senko. For skipping under a fluke is hard to beat.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Both of the above are great. Tubes seem to work everywhere. I've found that jigs are great on some lakes and not on others. I often skip a small Berkley Power Craw. It's a smaller bait and for some reason, the bass just kill it! I use it on spinning gear and skip way back underneath the docks. I rig it on a 1/0 offset hook with an 1/8oz. florida screw-in weight. Good luck!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

ever try dock shooting?<br />* Open the bail, let out a couple feet of line;<br />* Hold the line with your right forefinger; <br />* grab the lure in your left hand, grip the round part of the hook between your thumb & finger if you can;<br />* Pull the lure back, bend the rod down toward the water until the tip is pointing back at you;<br />* Let go of the lure, and a split-second later release the line.<br /><br />only works with a spinning reel - I wouldn't try it with a baitcaster. ;) <br /><br />Practice a little in the garage, to learn how much line to let out, how much bend to put in your rod, etc.<br /><br />You should be able to shoot an weighted fluke up under a dock 20, 30 feet or more. Works great with crappie jigs, too. <br /><br />I never tried it with a crank - might work, you might want to use a pair of pliers to grasp the lure. nah, what the heck, be a man, grab those treble hooks & fire away! ;)

Ron G

Commander

senko,small jig,or a grub good luck.dock shooting never tried it ,im going to give that a try.

LubeDude

Admiral

All good advice, only, I have found that if you use too small of a bait that you will likely catch small fish. [NOT ALWAYS]. There are usually lots of small fish under docks, anyway its that way here. I like to use either a senko type bait, or a Brush hog, {the big one], Watermelon or Pumpkin. I use a large, [3-4], large gap hook, and if I use a weight, I like to crimp a small splitshot on the bend in the hook under the bait after I rig it. This lets the bait fall flat and slowly and can make all the difference in the world.

D

DJ

Nothing beats a fresh worm (nightcrawler) for fresh, and a shrimp for salt.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> Nothing beats a fresh worm (nightcrawler) for fresh
I have to differ on that statement. I believe that most strikes you get Bass fishing are reactionary strikes. Also, if you use nightcrawlers for bass, you are going to be plauged all day with smaller fish chewing on your worm. Can you catch bass on night crawlers? Absolutly, but not the best in IMHO.

gonefishie

Commander

so jtexas, how many times have you hook yourself doing dock shooting? :D I'm trying to perfect my skipping technique right now, seem to be a safer anyway but them backlashes are a you know what.

LubeDude

Admiral

Anyone that tries to skip a bait with a baitcaster is just a glutton for punishment. IMHO. Oh, it can be done, but why bother.

dtherrien

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like Gary Yamomoto products myself.They are a little more expensive than othere similar items, but i think they work better.I put an O-ring around the body of the worm and then feed the hook between the worm and O-ring.I fish many different bodies of water and this set up always works for me.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by dtherrien:<br /> I like Gary Yamomoto products myself.They are a little more expensive than othere similar items, but i think they work better.
I have used them a lot this late summer and early fall, I think I have to eat my words from a previous thread I posted a while back. :rolleyes: Without a doubt, the fish hold on to them longer than other worms. I mean if my wife can catch a bass on a plastic, they have to hold it a while. :D

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

How do you guys usually rig the worm when using senko-types? wacky? texas?

LubeDude

Admiral

I have found that I use them weightless most often, when I do use a weight, I crip a small split shot on the bend of the hook after rigging so they fall flat rather than straight down. I dont impart any action to them at all unless fishing near the surface. They do there best work just buy sinking naturaly. I also rig my Brush hogs this way. Beleive me, it makes a word of difference. You have to try it. Use the type of splitshot that has the little tabs on the back so you can remove them and put them back on after rigging a new bait.

FLATHEAD

Captain

LD Try a bitsy bug jig with a trailer of your choice, I have had some success with berkley power craw. Not a big fan of the power baits but the trailers seem to work OK.

LubeDude

Admiral

Flauthead:<br /><br /> :D I cant beleive you passed on the "I TOLD YA SO" that you could have jumped on here. :eek:

FLATHEAD

Captain

I saw it LD, I figured I would just let it go> But since you mentioned it.......... :p

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

LD, so when you rig them weightless and do not impart any action on them, are you just letting them sink to the bottom real slowly and then letting it sit there for awhile? Do you hop it back to the boat?

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by BassCat73:<br /> LD, so when you rig them weightless and do not impart any action on them, are you just letting them sink to the bottom real slowly and then letting it sit there for awhile? Do you hop it back to the boat?
In the spring, I use a bunch of different baits and work them near the surface a lot. In this senario I impart a lot of action to the bait in question. This time of the year and around docks as the question was, I let them sink about four to six feet then lift the rod, reel in the slack and repeat untill I work the edge of the dock. Strikes come normally within the first few feet. Around structure I let it sink untill it hits bottom and then lift the rod. I dont let the bait set very long on the bottom, however sometimes it does work to let it sit for a while. Called dead sticking. Depending on how deep it is, as I have descibed I add a splitshot to the hook. I like the way that plastics sink so well rigged this way, the only time I use a slip sinker any more is in heavy vegitation. They also sell hooks with weight already on them, but I like the splitshot Idea for the simplcity of rigging, and instead of having to buy a bunch of different hooks, I just have a few different weights of splitshot, much cheaper, and Im cheap.<br /><br />The best thing I have ever done was to spend a day in a freinds swimming pool with a mask and snorkle watching different baits, cranks, spinnerbaits, worms, jigs. I was in amazement at what little suttle changes made to different baits. I was a prune when I was done, and was underwater for so long I got an ear infection but it was worth it.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll give the split shot/senko rig a try this weekend -- as usual, I can't wait to get out this weekend!! :)