FaultyTrim senders on VP 5.0 Gi DPS

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I am on my fourth trim sender and at US$300 a time I am not amused. :( I bought a Cranchi Ellipse new in 1999 fitted with the above motor. After the first season of use (36hr)in the Med here in Spain the boat was dry stored under cover. Following season upon launching I found that the trim sender was not working. As changing it out requires removing the outdrive leg I decided to leave it and fix it before the next summer, and so it has gone on. I only get one season out of each sender, but until it goes back into the water I have no way to test it. <br /><br />Now to the point, each sender has the same problem:- the orange wire has either broken or the insulation has cracked and salt water along with 12V has started rotting the copper wire. Now each time I am in a boat yard or Marina I look at any boats fitted with the DPS drive and find that many of them have the same problem. The SX drive does not have this problem as it only has the 2 wires.<br />I have asked Volvo here in Spain what the solution is but get no response. I cannot belive that senders should be considered as consumables in the same way as oil filters and anodes. <br />Has anybody else found a solution to this fault?