Famous shift shaft

Utt2033

Seaman
One huge question is if u move remote forward that turns shift shaft in clockwise direction for drive gear then why is rev towards the water pump seems like it’s backwards to me

Attachments

• 4A5F2C0D-A340-4E7F-883A-69D2B9B8ED0D.png
    4A5F2C0D-A340-4E7F-883A-69D2B9B8ED0D.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 15

The Force power

Commander
One huge question is if u move remote forward that turns shift shaft in clockwise direction for drive gear then why is rev towards the water pump seems like it’s backwards to me
It depends on how you look at;
facing or along the directiono_O

Utt2033

Seaman
Oh my word u have to got to be kidding me I’ve Been looking at this wrong the whole time. Thanks now I look at it correctly makes since now thanks for the reply for a dummy

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
When shifting using the remote, is forward forward and neutral/reverse correct?

Utt2033

Seaman
It depends on how you look at;
facing or along the directiono_O
Well if u stand at the prop and it goes clockwise then it moves to rev according to pic instead of drive. Mine has a half moon flat metal that gets pulled to the front of the boat when the remote is pushed foward so it turns the coupling shaft clockwise so it will move from neutral to rev and I found rev and it’s where the pic shows where prop will not turn counterclockwise but clicks when turning clockwise

Utt2033

Seaman
When shifting using the remote, is forward forward and neutral/reverse correct?
When I first put it togther after changing water pump too me couple times trying before I could get it to fit but seems like the prop turned counter clock when I pushed foward on remote

Utt2033

Seaman
When I first put it togther after changing water pump too me couple times trying before I could get it to fit but seems like the prop turned counter clock when I pushed foward on remote
My prop it’s right handed meaning turn clockwise for foward correct

Attachments

• 31E28D03-DD28-49E5-A3EC-0D330DC88669.jpeg
    31E28D03-DD28-49E5-A3EC-0D330DC88669.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5

The Force power

Commander
Well if u stand at the prop and it goes clockwise then it moves to rev according to pic instead of drive. Mine has a half moon flat metal that gets pulled to the front of the boat when the remote is pushed foward so it turns the coupling shaft clockwise so it will move from neutral to rev and I found rev and it’s where the pic shows where prop will not turn counterclockwise but clicks when turning clockwise
When the shift-shaft is in the neutral position and turn the DRIVE-shaft clockwise the prop will turn counter-clock wise but it's not actually engaged (you can stop it from turn without any resistance, it's the oil inside that makes it turn)

When you the PROP-shaft (in forward gear) clockwise it will click(the dog-clutch is "ratcheting" ONLY in reverse gear you'll be able to get the DRIVE-shaft to turn by turning the PROP-shaft

Utt2033

Seaman
Here is a pic of way I see it looking from power head down. Nice to have autocad

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7

Utt2033

Seaman
Here is a pic of way I see it looking from power head down. Nice to
When the shift-shaft is in the neutral position and turn the DRIVE-shaft clockwise the prop will turn counter-clock wise but it's not actually engaged (you can stop it from turn without any resistance, it's the oil inside that makes it turn)

When you the PROP-shaft (in forward gear) clockwise it will click(the dog-clutch is "ratcheting" ONLY in reverse gear you'll be able to get the DRIVE-shaft to turn by turning the PROP-shaft
To actually find foward on prop need to turn ss and turn prop until it turns prop daft did I see the auto cad dwg

Utt2033

Seaman
Here is a pic of way I see it looking from power head down. Nice to

To actually find foward on prop need to turn ss and turn prop until it turns prop daft did I see the auto cad dwg
Daft is shat and I is u

Utt2033

Seaman
Are you over thinking this? as GA boater already asked; does your controls work?
Yea controls work and yes probably over thinking but gonna do what u said earlier but be sat before I can... had it together last week I found rev and moved remote to rev and installed rev and neu work perfect until I tried to get to foward that’s when I had to move remote to the point where the motor reved up high before it was grinding a bit to go into foward

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What motor ?---- think you need to stop and listen.--------When you put control in FORWARD the prop will turn clockwise looking at the prop from behind the boat.

The Force power

Commander
There's helpful Stickies at the top of Merc. forum, here's one

This is how I do it in about 60 sec.: Turn the LU shift shaft by hand counter-clockwise until it
stops, then with Vise Grips tight on the bottom of the shaft turn it a
few more degrees CCW until it clicks into a stop, this
should be neutral - check by turning prop-shaft --
prop should spin freely.
Put control in N and go ahead and attach LU to driveshaft housing some turning of the flywheel will help the DS splines align.
Do not shift into reverse unless you turn the prop at the same time.

Last edited:

Utt2033

Seaman
What motor ?---- think you need to stop and listen.--------When you put control in FORWARD the prop will turn clockwise looking at the prop from behind the boat.
1978 Mercury 115hp lower end with 1980 power head registration has 200hp

Utt2033

Seaman
There's helpful Stickies at the top of Merc. forum, here's one

This is how I do it in about 60 sec.: Turn the LU shift shaft by hand counter-clockwise until it
stops, then with Vise Grips tight on the bottom of the shaft turn it a
few more degrees CCW until it clicks into a stop, this
should be neutral - check by turning prop-shaft --
prop should spin freely.
Put control in N and go ahead and attach LU to driveshaft housing some turning of the flywheel will help the DS splines align.
Do not shift into reverse unless you turn the prop at the same time.
This was very helpful will give a go tomorrow am