Family Friendly Fishing Boat

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Family Friendly Fishing Boat

Couple of things I failed to mention. I am looking for a center console style boat with outboards. The outboard feature is for no other reason then that is what I am used to seeing and have trained my eye to visually appreciate. I think Albemarle and Tiara only make inboards from what I can tell. Stamas is one I have to take a closer look at but their website leaves alot to be desired. I thought I was able to count out the Grady White but I went back to thier website and their 33 is a nice boat. Huge head/cabin in the console. I really like the way the displays are tucted away neatly in the mechanical enclosure. Wide beam and the AC blowing on the captain might be huge in the middle of these hot summer days in Florida. It just doesn't satisfy me visually. I think I have looked at too many boats at this point because I am confused. Hopefully the Ft. Lauderdale boat show will bring some clarity.

Your title say Family Friendly Fishing Boat and now you mention Center Console.
In my expererience those 2 don't go very well together. You can sure find a compromise but you need to decide which one you want to privilege...family or fishing....

I personnaly like hydra-sports boats and my choice will be the Vector VX serie for your application

mattttt25

Commander

27' - 35' family friendly fishing boat.... hmmmm. Cabo, Bertram, Viking, Egg, etc. Any of the battle wagons that make a 35' are going to be better than that list. But I'm guessing your're leaning towards an outboard powered express or walk. I personally put BW at the bottom of that last for that size. Love my Grady and it does everything decent, but I'm now looking at Pursuits and Tiaras. Those on your original list just don't have the amenities that the traditional expresses have. Check out a 2002-2004 Pursuit 3100 Express and you'll understand what I mean. Btw, the newer Pursuits are all outboards, so go find an early 2000's model.

RayRay'sToys

Cadet

Not intending to insult anyone just simply updating this thread with my progress. I have eliminated Grady, Boston Whaler and Stamas because of styling. They just don't appeal to me visually the way others do. The Hydra Sports and Southport both seem to have the big coffin boxes (which I don't need or want) on their larger boats and it seems like they and Pursuit are slightly out classed by other manufacturers. Everglades seems every bit as expensive if not more then all of these boats with the exception of Intrepid. They have lots of bells and whistles on thier boats which is visually attractive but I am concerned there may be too much to maintain and/or break. I was on several of their boats at this past Ft. Lauderdale boat show and noticed a rough sand paper like feeling on the backside of one of the powder coated items which concerned me that it wasn't finished properly. Powder coating should be uniform and have a smooth feeling if finished properly. I was also concerned with Everglades' enclosed on the front console area. I know they offer the side windows to allow for air to flow through but it is very different then almost any other center console I have looked at. It would seem to be very nice in the rain but with the heat here in S. Florida, I was concerned that the side windows wouldn't provide enough air to the captain somewhat cool. Edgewater seems like a nice fairly simple boat to maintain. They seemed open to some customization unlike Everglades. Intrepid is still tops on my list. Slightly concerned they may have to many motorized gadgets (sliding seat to access head) then I would want. I am concerned about things breaking. Manual hinged door (like on most center consoles) will likely last longer then a motorized sliding seat. Although, Intrepid seems to really get good marks on these forums for customer service. I really like the dive door on the Intrepid and although Egdewater says they have done it, it doesn't seem like they have as much experience as Interpid with that feature. I like the stepped hull on the Intrepid. I think I will sea trial both to compare thier rides. Edgewater is likely considerably less expensive and I would be able to get into one quicker. Interpid I would have to wait and I wish their rear seating was a fold down type like on the Everglades rather then one that has to be completely removed. The everglades 35 had a nice built in, fold out fighting chair which for my needs would be used for additional seating. I really liked the additional storage on the sides of the Everglades 35 as well. I like that the dinnette table on the Interpid is completely removable which is unlike the Edgewater. Of course the downside to Intrepid is the wait. Will try to post again after sea trials. If anyone can chime in on a Intrepid vs Edgewater comparison it would be appreciated.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Edgewater 318 or 388? The cutting-edge SPI deal on the 318 concerns me a little. Full floation designs are edgey enuff for me as it is. On the other hand the console on the 388 seems really small for such a huge boat? Frankly I would not rule out Pursuit.

Kelly

RayRay'sToys

Cadet

Edgewater 318 or 388? The cutting-edge SPI deal on the 318 concerns me a little. Full floation designs are edgey enuff for me as it is. On the other hand the console on the 388 seems really small for such a huge boat? Frankly I would not rule out Pursuit.

Kelly
I was looking at the 318. Does the Intrepid fall into this full flotation design you speak of or is it just an edgewater feature?

RayRay'sToys

Cadet

Your title say Family Friendly Fishing Boat and now you mention Center Console.
In my expererience those 2 don't go very well together. You can sure find a compromise but you need to decide which one you want to privilege...family or fishing....

I personnaly like hydra-sports boats and my choice will be the Vector VX serie for your application
I can see how the title doesn't completely fall in line with a center console. I have ruled out a larger cabin with sleeping quarters and AC. It is just too much for starters. On the other hand I have also ruled out a smaller cuddy cabin because I agree that it would only turn into storage if it is not set up to comfortably sleep on (i.e. AC). With that in mind, I am trying to find the most family friendly center console. I really like the all black Hydra Sports and thanks for the input.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

I was looking at the 318. Does the Intrepid fall into this full flotation design you speak of or is it just an edgewater feature?
I was referring to the "unsinkable" design that put Boston Whaler on the map many years ago. In addition to BW, similar construction is now used by Edgewater, Everglades, and McKee. Big boats are not designed with that much flotation material. Look at the info on Intrepid and it says nothing at all about floation.

Kelly

RayRay'sToys

Cadet

I was referring to the "unsinkable" design that put Boston Whaler on the map many years ago. In addition to BW, similar construction is now used by Edgewater, Everglades, and McKee. Big boats are not designed with that much flotation material. Look at the info on Intrepid and it says nothing at all about floation.

Kelly

Thanks for clarifying. I am sure that knowing a boat is unsinkable is comforting while offshore but I wonder how many times responsible boaters put themselves in situations where one could sink their boat. It seems that a high percentage of boats are sinkable so I am putting less emphasis on that criteria for buying a boat or not. Just my approach and thanks again.