Factory fuel line zip ties

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
I am just finishing up rebuilding the two carbs on my 1984 90hp. I had to cut the factory zip ties off the lines going to the bowls. What is the appropriate replacement?
Try to install my own zip tie? Fuel line clamp? A clamp would be a nightmare to get to if it started leaking. I guess a zip tie would be no better.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You should be able to get the rounded zip ties from any outboard dealer.

interalian

Commander
They're great if the fuel lines are nice and soft, especially if the lines are new. If the lines are old and hard it's tough to get enough compression on them to seal properly.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
I ended up using high pressure fuel line clamps. There is enough room but I don't think they will loosen.
I've notice one factory tie is leaking at the VRO. I am going to replace that with a clamp. I best be careful as these fittings are made of plastic.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Fuel hoses should fit well enough to not leak, even if not clamped. The primary reason for the clamp is to prevent the hose from coming off the fitting. A second line of defense against leaking is the secondary purpose.

BTW, those zip ties were special design, with rounded backsides on the "head" end. I believe somebody already suggested that though.