Exxon Mobil record profit forecast

D

DJ

Re: Exxon Mobil record profit forecast

Ethonol/Methonol are not that great as far as fuels go.<br /><br />They have their problems.<br /><br />1. Cold weather startability is bad.<br /><br />2. Low BTU's/gallon (power). About 75% of gasoline.<br /><br />3. Very corrosive. Meaning expensive fuel handling/storage equipment. That includes vehicular storage and handling.

KRS

Banned

I'm glad they are returning profits to their shareholders.<br /><br />Look... we all have a vote on whether they are profitable or not... buy gas or don't, but don't blame them for the voracious appetite the US has. Do I think that the hikes in prices are price gouging.... YES!!! Can I combat that if I really wanted to.... YES!!! I could walk, ride a bike, or.... do what I just did last week and I bought a 54 mpg motorcycle for my 9 mile one-way commute.<br /><br />My friends in the UK pay (what works out to be roughly) $5 per gallon for gas.<br /><br />I was speaking to my boss the other day and he stated that the US has paid historically lower prices than the rest of the world..... maybe it's our turn :mad: :mad: :mad:

PW2

Commander

Thanks for the link Ralph. I wonder where I contribute to their cause.<br /><br />Am I missing something, or do they just want refineries to comply with existing laws? And not pollute. A noble goal in my book.<br /><br />And why should they be able to break the law? So you can have cheap gas? Texas and Louisana may not care what kind of air their citizens breathe, but unfortunately, the prevailing wind currents won't respect state lines, which is of course why we have a national clean air act, and national standards, as opposed to 50 different state acts.<br /><br />I have been around industry for a long time, and I know that industry can and does pollute--and they can engineer and maintain their facilities so they they operate within existing standards.<br /><br />I worked many years in Washington State, where they have much more stringent regulations than the national standard, at the same time having two major refineries that I know about that have no specific problems with them...<br /><br />Except in 1985 when the ARCO Anchorage went aground in Port Angeles harbor.<br /><br />Fighting for clean air and clean water by environmentalists is not stopping the refineries. The refinery management's history of non-compliance could be.

D

DJ

PW2,<br /><br />Just what standards should anyone operate under? That goes for human behavior too. We had a standard for that, but we threw it out.<br /><br />Why is it that all the fuel oil spilled during WW2 is NEVER a topic of discussion?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by David L. Moore:<br /> I still don't understand why no one seems agitated by the record high fuel prices, and the record high profits, both out of relation to the cost of a barrel of oil.
I am agitated as all get out, David.<br /><br />What other industry, if your raw material price increases, so does your profit margin.<br /><br />I believe that the U.S. government has created artificial barriers to competition (see my previous post above), bowing to environmentalist pressure (or if you are the conspiracy-theory type, collusion between Big Oil and Tree Huggers), <br /><br />therefore free-market economics do not apply.