External Oil Filter hose routing?

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I am restoring an older Sea Ray that has two Chevy V8 stroker motors/Bravo 1s. Covid and heath issues have delayed my progress to the point of frustration. Both motors have external oil filters that attach to risers nearest the sides of the boat. I photo-ed oil filters and attachments but forgot to photo routing of the stb oil filter's hoses. I can't remember it the hoses lay on top of rear of motor where motor is attached to bellhousing or the hoses are routed underneath motor. I have more than enough hose length to accomplish either routing path, although it would be tight if I routed it underneath. Hoses are 1/2 or 5/8" id. If I can keep hoses from touching and burning on the hot part of the starboard manifold, that would be the easiest path and easy to examine for future leaks. Using the under motor path would cause hose to collect crap from bilge water sloshing around on it, and I wouldn't be able to see any hose leaks (if any) . Any suggestions???

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Whatever is simplest long term. It won't matter mechanically where the hoses are. Make it easiest to maintain and access everything else.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Make sure they don't rub anything or each other. I luckily found that the metal sheath on the end of one was, I guess for years, slightly rubbing against the hose section of its neighbor. It had a small bulge and was leaking. Had I not caught it I would have had a bilge full of oil and possibly a new block to buy.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Make sure they don't rub anything or each other. I luckily found that the metal sheath on the end of one was, I guess for years, slightly rubbing against the hose section of its neighbor. It had a small bulge and was leaking. Had I not caught it I would have had a bilge full of oil and possibly a new block to buy.
Thanks to all! I am fearful of rubbing and not seeing abrasions too. I may see if splicing a larger hose and inserting the two 1/2" hoses into it for protection is an option. However, tie wrapping on top of bellhousing may be the best and cheapest option. THX!!