Extending pontoon length

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Extending pontoon length

IMHO, you will be gambling lots of money and time with minimal positive results, and in fact the results may be negative. I would sell that boat and then purchase one that will meet your specs.
As a side note, my last three pontoon boats all had/have GPS's. Trimming the bow up on each one, including my current one, resulted in a slight speed increase compared to trimming the bow all the way down. I've always assumed that was due to less drag by getting the front of the pontoons more out of the water.

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would like to add a built in 27 gal fuel tank (v-tank into the motor well) but the added weight would have the motor under water.
YES, a larger boat would do just fine BUT...... This just seemed like a workable idea, but maybe not.

I'm thinking that gasoline, being lighter than water would provide some bouyancy, but please don't ask me how much. Now, lets say you get a bigger vtank, like a 42 gallon tank and never fill it more than half full. You would get more bouyancy but hard to say how much more.

You could look for an older beater boat and move your decking and furniture over to it during the off season. Sure, buying a new boat is easier, but I'm not certain you are looking for the easy way out. As a buddy of mine is fond of saying "ARE WE NOT MEN !?! :)

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm thinking that gasoline, being lighter than water would provide some bouyancy, but please don't ask me how much. Now, lets say you get a bigger vtank, like a 42 gallon tank and never fill it more than half full. You would get more bouyancy but hard to say how much more.

In order for that tank to provide any floatation it would have to be located so low in the water that it would create way too much drag unless it was extremely streamlined.

Glenn

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

His original question was regarding getting the rear pontoons up in the water. I think a v tank in the water (mine is 42 galloons) would be better than two gas cans on top of the logs.

BBDAWG

Seaman Apprentice

Looks like I am fighting a loosing battle in being able to accomplish my goals within my very restrictive budget. All in All, it sounds like the only sure method (other than the new boat route) is to add a 3rd log with a built in motor pod. I am sure this would work well but as several have said, would the actual gain be worth the investment?? Only having a 40hp (which is the largest engine my toon will allow, as built) I am guessing I would be dueling with the proverbial wind mill. We love the boat size, just not the exact configuration we have.

Thanks ALL for your thoughts and input!!

BBDAWG

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

The pontoon extension never worked out and for those still following this topic, here was my final solution: I traded the pontoon boat for a travel trailer then upgraded to a 38ft 5th wheel. No place to keep the pontoon now. So now, home is gone, SUV traded for a big truck (F350 Diesel dually) and we are now full time RV'ers and Loving it! We are now considering some type of canoe/kayak to carry along with us to satisfy our boating interest.

Attachments

• photo201527.png
    photo201527.png
    119.8 KB · Views: 0

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
They make 3/4 toons and you wouldn't have to touch the pod in the back. Now you have a triton and height you wanted.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Add a full length third toon I did and you can't bet the ride,performance,and ride height handy down well worth the money.