Explosion and Fire Danger

steegie

Cadet
Shocking thread title, right? That's how concerned I am about the subject, being new to I/O boating. My boat is a 1989 CC VP 4.3L with a poly fuel tank centered forward of the engine, and is sealed below deck. It has a 1" vent hose attached to the tank, double-clamped, and is routed forward and portside just below and through the gunwale.
Question: Is the compartment properly vented to assure no gasoline fumes will collect in that compartment or should a blower and ducting be installed? I wouldn't be so concerned except that the compartment is so closed off. Has anyone ever heard of a problem with this type of boat?
Thanks ahead for any comments.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your boat is 35 years old.

the fuel lines are good for about 15-20 years.

have you followed the USCG / IMO requirements on fuel system inspection?

if all the lines and the tank are in properly maintained shape, you are fine.

No need to add any ventilation if the lines and tank are in proper shape.

that being said, if you can smell fuel other than having your nose in the vent, you have a leak.

airshot

Rear Admiral
When I had my I/O, the fuel tank was under a seat in an enclosed box. I bought a round circle vent with a screen and mounted on the side of the seat box. Easy acess so I could stick my nose there and smell for fuel !! Then always be sure to cycle your bilge blower beforevturning on the ignition ir any other electrical. As mentioned...maintenence is everything. !! In almost all fuel related boating incidents, lack of maintenence or pilot error is the fault !!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
or pilot error is the fault !!
local fuel dock had to have fire dept foam a customers boat because he put 20 gallons down a rod holder into the bilge. the fuel dock manager saw it and hit the e-stop

airshot

Rear Admiral
Most fire/ explosions on boats are pilot error, same as vehicle accidents !!

tpenfield

Staff member
I/O engines can be a bit concerning relating to fuel proximity. I'm on my 3rd I/O boat. . . .

1) Don't assume that the fuel tank bay below deck is perfectly sealed (i.e air tight), it is probably not.
2) A significant concern with a boat of 20+ years old is the integrity of the fuel tank and hoses, as per Scott's comments.
3) A bit more positive ventilation to the fuel tank bay can help, as it will make any fuel issues more apparent.
4) A fume detector in the engine compartment is a good idea. Some boats have them some do not.
5) Make sure your electrical system is properly wired and positive connections properly covered.
6) Practice good fuel safety . . . use the rod holders only for fishing. :LOL:

airshot

Rear Admiral
With folks moving to lithium batteries, I would be concerned about fires from those. Your regular dry chemical fire extinguisher will NOT put out a fire from a lithium battery !! If you choose to use them, find a suitable extinguishing system just in case. These batteries burn hot and burn fast, so prepare ahead of time !!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
With folks moving to lithium batteries, I would be concerned about fires from those. Your regular dry chemical fire extinguisher will NOT put out a fire from a lithium battery !! If you choose to use them, find a suitable extinguishing system just in case. These batteries burn hot and burn fast, so prepare ahead of time !!
The fire goes out after the boat burns to the waterline

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I would add a fume detector to any inboard gas boat
You should inspect the fuel system at the start of each season
Always lift the engine hatch and sniff before even turning on the blower
I will never have a lithium battery of any kind on a boat that I own.
A major EU marine insurance firm will not insure boats with lithium batteries because a fire usually results in a total loss.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Lots of folks are finding insurance companies are getting real picky when it comes to batteries!! A family friend just bought an electric vehicle for his wife for running around town. Boy did his insurance skyrocket!
Then they had the charge station added in the garage, the insurance on the home shot thru the roof...had he known how much the ins jumped, they never would have made the purchase !!! Check with your insurance co before buying anything with a lithium battery !!!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Be absolutely your fuel system is in good shape. No one hurt but it exploded upon startup.

Attachments

• IMG_20210620_152219075.jpg
    IMG_20210620_152219075.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 26

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
One thing that always worried me was the fact that I rarely if ever saw people with gas inboard boats lift the engine hatch & sniff for fumes after fueling up. Everyone is in too much of a rush but the consequences of not checking are catastrophic….

airshot

Rear Admiral
When I had my I/O, tried to sniff the vents before starting to check for gas fumes, if thst was good then the blowers.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
I have a cruiser with two gas engines and twin gas tanks. Even with a working fume detector, after fueling I ALWAYS open the engine hatches, cabin windows, wait 5 minutes, then go down into the bilge and perform a smell test before starting- just to be absolutely sure!! No short cuts are allowed!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Lots of folks are finding insurance companies are getting real picky when it comes to batteries!! A family friend just bought an electric vehicle for his wife for running around town. Boy did his insurance skyrocket!
Then they had the charge station added in the garage, the insurance on the home shot thru the roof...had he known how much the ins jumped, they never would have made the purchase !!! Check with your insurance co before buying anything with a lithium battery !!!
Just bought an electric vehicle, and yeah the insurance is high, but not that bad. The cost isn't due to fire, EV's catch fire at about the same rate as ICE vehicles. (they burn up way more than you would think!) The insurance rate is due to the complexity of repair, mainly due to accidents.

And as far as a charge for a charging station in the garage, that is a new one. Not sure how insurance would ever discover that even. In any case, easy to avoid, don't put in a wall mount charger, just put in a 60 amp outlet.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Just bought an electric vehicle, and yeah the insurance is high, but not that bad. The cost isn't due to fire, EV's catch fire at about the same rate as ICE vehicles. (they burn up way more than you would think!) The insurance rate is due to the complexity of repair, mainly due to accidents.

And as far as a charge for a charging station in the garage, that is a new one. Not sure how insurance would ever discover that even. In any case, easy to avoid, don't put in a wall mount charger, just put in a 60 amp outlet.
According to the guy that had his charging station installed, the install company warned him that he coukd lose his home insyrance if he didn't tell them about the inside charge station. Have heard this from a number of folks in my area. Neighbors friend sells cars, and the dealers are beginning to warn buyers about potential insurance increases on EV's and even recomending outside charging stations.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Insurance companies do inspections so they will find things and ask you to change them. It could be things like loose shingles, overhanging branches, sub standard wiring etc.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Insurance companies do inspections so they will find things and ask you to change them. It could be things like loose shingles, overhanging branches, sub standard wiring etc.
I recently renewed my home insurance, but had to fill out a questionare before they would do so. Many usual questions like any additions, roofing upgrades etc....then came the questions about..." Have you purchased/ leased an all electric vehicle in the past year? Is it kept in your garage? This question was just recently added as it was not there last year. As we learn the possible hazzards associated with EV's, more questions will be ask. Rates are going up anyway, the ins company is looking for reasons to increase there rates!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I live approx 300 ft from the water in Long Island NY; but am elevated about 100 ft above sea level. It isn’t that easy to get homeowners insurance. So the last time I had to change companies the ins co sent an inspector who inspected the entire house in person! No problems found lucky for me but still that’s how it is.