Exploring the Lower Colorado River

vondee

Recruit
I'm 49 now and have spent all of my life boating this river and Lakes made from this river. I decided a couple of years ago that I was going to make an effort to see/explore it all. Last year I went 20 miles up into the Grand Canyon (past where the muddy water mixes with the clear water) from Temple Bar, Lake Mead...that was awesome! This weekend, I'm going to do I-10 @ Blythe south to Martinez Lake. Any advice, comments or GPS coordinates would be greatly appreciated, as I like to be as prepared as possible for these adventures. Thanks.

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Exploring the Lower Colorado River

Hi there Vondee,

I'm interested in your uprun into the Grand Canyon. How was the rapid at Pearce Ferry when you went up there and what kind of boat were you in? That's a nasty little spot going downstream. I've been thinking of taking my inflatable on a similar trip but didn't know how much power I'd need to uprun that rapid. You sure don't want to get cross-ways in there with too little power.

How far up did you go? 20 miles, I'm guessing around Quartermaster Canyon. You hit any sandbars?

Sounds like fun. I've made that trip years back, but the lake is quite a bit lower now so it's even more sketchy, i.e. dangerous. :)