Expensive fish

sbulla

Seaman
So, I'm out on the lake this morning, with my butt parked in the front seat of my boat, bouncing a plastic worm across the bottom of this cove and I get a strike. I give it a chance to gulp the bait up and then, set the hook....GOT HIM!!! :)

It's a good'ern too! Fightin' real hard! Jumping and diving like a pro! Problem is, my old reel is acting up and it's hard to wind plus, he's headed for the rear of the boat and I don't want to get him all wound up in the motor!

So, I stand up, take a step off the elevated front portion of the boat and, I don't know what I stepped on but, it made me lose my balance and I started a slow tilt to the rear but, rather than let go of the pole with my right hand, I tried to find something with my left hand to stop this slow-motion, backward movement of my body...to no avail.

What I did find, with my left elbow, was my other two fishing poles that were resting vertically in a carrier mounted to the front of the console. They made a sickening "crack" as I swept across them on my way to the floor. One medium and one light action 6 foot spinning rod trashed in a matter of seconds. :-(

Most importantly though...I never let go of the pole and was able to scramble back to my feet to finish the retrieve!

It's about 18" long. Probably about 3 or 4 pounds but he fought like a ten pounder! ;-)

Guess it's off to Bass Pro Shop to replace the carnage...Dang!, don't ya just hate it when you have to buy new fishing gear! ;-)

Sonny

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Expensive fish

I feel your pain. We just got a new BPS here and I cry every time I am forced, through no fault of my own of course, to buy more stuff.:D I was heading down for a little surf fishing with the rods in the truck bumper rack. Could have sworn I loaded the 11 footers. Nope, the 13 footers, Well, they're 10 footers now. Dang bridge tunnel.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

thats exactly why i like my wireless trolling motor, got all that crap off the deck.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

So let us know how much per pound the fish cost after you have replaced the gear !!! LOL

sbulla

Seaman

So let us know how much per pound the fish cost after you have replaced the gear !!! LOL

You can do the math...

My shopping trip ended up costing me around $160 for two rods, new spinning reel, line, and some sundry items my tackle box was low on.

And, I let the culprit go after snapping this pic.

Sonny

Attachments

• bass1.jpg
    bass1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0

Sliver

Seaman Apprentice

You all have probably heard this one:

2 guys are out for the weekend and only get 2 lousy fish. After considering what they spent for fuel, a cabin rental, bait and food/drink for the weekend one guy says, "These 2 damn fish ended up costing us almost $100 a pound." The other guy says, "Boy, it's a good thing we didn't catch more!!"