Exhaust Smoke, Finiky Steering, and Fluid Color...

Alright all wise men of the boating forums, I come seeking yet again your wisdom of my mysterious (to me) vessel. First, let me tell you of the engine set up... it is a 2000 carbureted 5.7 MerCruiser Alpha One with power steering and thunder bolt ignition.

1) My power steering has been quite finiky, is the best way to describe it. It almost feels like I don't have any. There is "play" in the steering wheel when turning right to left and left to right (which other way would you turn?) and at low speeds the boat is almost impossible to steer because whatever way you turn the wheel it "over steers" horribly. A fella at my local boat parts shop said it is probably my steering cable that needs to be replaced...what do you think? Now let me add this bit in as well...the power steering fluid is brown...now on my old vessel it was red tranny fluid I used, what is this crap in this boats power steering pump?

2) The boat seems to be letting off an excessive amount of exhaust smoke...now it is by no means a camp fire but on calm days while at idling speeds it's pretty bad.I just replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs (looked clean, no evidence of running rich), and dumped some stabilizer in the gas tank, it has non ethanol gas in it, but none of those helped. The exhaust is light blue in color, it isn't burning oil, engine is running at good temp, oil pressure is good, boat runs good, just throws a lot of exhaust...

I shall leave these with you for now, all help is appreciated!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Check if there is play in the gimble/steering arm. They wear out at the steering pin. Grab the drive and manually work it back and forth, it should not feel loose.

alldodge

Staff member
As grub says, need to find out were the play is, then we can figure out how to fix.

Blue smoke is oil, and it doesn't take much for it to start showing up. My first guess is the valve seals are leaking due to age.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
most v-bottom runabout boats with single I/O's suffer from low speed wander, however check first for anything loose. since you notice it only at idle speed, that would be my first guess. if you simply let go of the wheel (not trying to correct it), it will most likely wander back and forth. if you try to correct it, yes, you will oversteer.

power steering system can have power steering fluid (comes in about 4 colors - Amber, Red, Blue, Green), ATF (Generally Red), or SAE 30 (Generally Amber). what does the manual for your particular year indicate should be used.

regarding the smoke at startup, does it clear up eventually? if not your valve seals have long since quit sealing. simple fix, a set of valve seals is about $10, takes about 2 hours to change with the proper tools.

I have yet to pull the vessel out of the water for the season, we had a decent day for wake boarding yesterday, although water temp was a real pick me up...about 67 degrees. I plan on pulling it out this week for the winter and will give the out drive a shake to see if I can pin point where the play is coming from.

The manual says this is a "rack and pinion" power steering system if that helps at all. It says to add type "A" automatic transmission fluid if level is low (isn't that the red stuff, why is what's in there brown?)

The smoke does not clear up, pretty consistent throughout the drive. Do you know of a good reference of either a video or pictures for replacing the valve seals on this engine model? I have the SELOC manual but would like some better visuals before pulling heads off my engine.

Thanks in advance for the help, you guys are always a great help.

alldodge

Staff member
There probably is a vid, but it's pretty easy. Remove the valve covers and power to the distributer. You need a compressor, adapter for the spark plug hole, a quick connect male air chuck fitting, and a spring compressor something like this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KD-2078-...-COMPRESSOR-/401009844533?hash=item5d5e0ca135

Bump the engine over until both valves on a cylinder are closed and that piston is TDC.
Remove spark plug and Install plug hole adapter and air chuck fitting.
Attach air hose to fitting to pressurize the cylinder (about 50 to 60 psi is enough).
Remove rocker nuts and rocker arm on the cylinder.
Use spring compressor to remove valve springs (two keepers are on top in the center, note orientation, may need to lightly tap top with plastic hammer)
Remove spring and old seal, then install new.
Reinstall everything back, torque rock nut 90 lb-in

alldodge

Staff member
The manual says this is a "rack and pinion" power steering system if that helps at all. It says to add type "A" automatic transmission fluid if level is low (isn't that the red stuff, why is what's in there brown?)

The label for power steering decal is Brown but the fluid should be Red, could also be clear if someone used power steering fluid. Now if you fluid is Brown I would drain and flush it. The fluid makes it easy to steer, it has no effect on play or slop.