exhaust manifolds and risers

vscgraphics

Seaman Apprentice
Are there any other options other the th stock manifolds and risers.... that weigh a ton? What about headers, can they be used..or will they get too hot

Engine 1986 mercruiser 5.7 with alpha 1. 22" century

Thanks

Brentathon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: exhaust manifolds and risers

Exhaust manifolds and risers (aka elbows) need to have coolant jackets, to cool the exhaust before it proceed through the rest of the exhaust system.
How would headers allow for this?

sea flower

Seaman Apprentice

Gotta keep 'em cool..... Find a diagram for you boat motor. They explain why better than i can. Yea they are heavy, They're made of cast iron. The better ones have a ceramic liner in them.

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer

You can get after market aluminum manifolds. I just saw one at the merc dealer who says they are cheaper than the stock merc ones.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Are there any other options other the th stock manifolds and risers.... that weigh a ton? What about headers, can they be used..or will they get too hot

Thanks
An I/O exhaust MUST be cooled or you'll have a fire.

The headers you see on a typical jet boat (open engine) are cooled by spraying water from a nozzle in all 8 pipes just outside the head connection. Unfortunately, it turns to steam, which expands and adds back pressure.

The other way is to make the headers double walled ss, to allow for a water jacket. They're hard to find, and pricey, so I made my own, with thru hull cut-outs.