exhaust cover question on '79 V6 150

la350

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 5, 2006
Messages
14
I took my recent purchase into the shop for a check up and they found numerous leaks. I bought the gaskets and am doing the work myself at home. The exhaust cover was leaking but I couldn't tell if it was at the plate where the coils are bolted up or where the actual exhaust cover mates up to the block. Upon pulling the ex cover off, I found that there was a rubber type seal where the cover "nests" into the block recess. This seal is in pieces (damaged) and the shop didn't include this in my gasket purchase. Do I have to buy a new seal or use some type of gasket goop?

I also had to pull a spark plug wire and the part that goes into the coil (?) broke off. This was suppossed to pull out like an automotive spark plug lead correct? Can I buy just one lead or do I need to buy a complete set?

The repair shop is closed for 2 weeks while the owner is on vacation. Does anyone have an online link where I can order some parts?

Thanks,

Lance
 

ncfish1

Seaman
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
56
Re: exhaust cover question on '79 V6 150

Since you didn't include the hp or model, it will be difficult to provide accurate info., but here goes;

The exhaust plate has a seal that you purchase (not goop).

You should be able to get the plug wire replacement.

For parts, try www.marineengine.com
 

la350

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 5, 2006
Messages
14
Re: exhaust cover question on '79 V6 150

ncfish1 said:
Since you didn't include the hp or model, it will be difficult to provide accurate info., but here goes;

The exhaust plate has a seal that you purchase (not goop).

You should be able to get the plug wire replacement.

For parts, try www.marineengine.com
 

la350

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 5, 2006
Messages
14
Re: exhaust cover question on '79 V6 150

I included the model/hp in the title of the post but not in the body!! Its a 1979 Merc 150hp V6

Thanks!!
 

ncfish1

Seaman
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
56
Re: exhaust cover question on '79 V6 150

Sorry...meant to say s/n. You will need this info. for ordering the components. Good luck.
 
Top