Exhaust bellows

85 omc

Cadet
So I thought my exhaust bellows had holes wore in the bottom side but all the pics ive seen of the new ones have holes in the bottom. I just wanna no if that is right

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Exhaust bellows

9-72706_2.jpg

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

So I thought my exhaust bellows had holes wore in the bottom side but all the pics ive seen of the new ones have holes in the bottom. I just wanna no if that is right

They're there so it will drain easily and reduce exhaust back pressure...........My previously installed OMG 460 King Kobra ran without an exhaust bellows installed for about 15 years.....

85 omc

Cadet

Ok thanks for the pic now on an 85 omc cobra do u service the shift bellows from the outdrive side of the boat or on the engine side of the transome. The engine stay in correctside of transome. The

Last edited:

Don S

OMC Cobras do not have shift bellows, only ujoint and exhaust bellows. The ujoint bellows being very important.

I would strongly suggest you find an OEM service manual set for your engine an drive. DO NOT go by year, because the Cobra drive did not come out until 86. So your boat is obviously a late in the year 85 where OMC changed from the stringers to the Cobra drives.
Look for some model numbers on your engine and drive.

85 omc

Cadet

Ok thanks ill wrk on that. I can fell water comin in around were the shift cable come through the transome to the engine if there is no bellows what could that be

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Your shift cable comes through a hose that is threaded into the transom assembly. The cable exits this hose above the water line up near the engine.

Go back to your other thread where I posted a link to what the hose is.

You should stick a camera down there and try to record exactly where the water is coming in. Could be a corroded out exhaust pipe, u-joint bellows or a rotten transom.

85 omc

Cadet

Ok I found the shift cable tube follwed it down to the transome, to the left of the tube there was a loose transome bolt, it was most off I tightened it up could that have something to do with it. It wad right beside my shift cable tube

Don S

Those are nyloc nuts, and don't just come loose. Even 1 loose nut shouldn't cause a problem.
99.9% of the time when the transom shield nuts are loose, the transom is rotten. Which is also not uncommon in old boats. Did you check any of the other nuts that hold the transom shield on to see if they were loose?

85 omc

Cadet

There was one more at the top loose. The transome does fell soft or sound rotten when u tap it is there another way to tell

85 omc

Cadet

Srry I meant to say it doesnt feel soft or sound different when you tap it is the any other ways to tell