Exhaust Bellows problem!

luv2fishN.M.

Seaman Apprentice
Oh the joy of boating:D I did a reseal on my transom a few weeks ago.1989 mercruiser 4.3 alpha 1. complete w/ shift cable, shift cable bellows, gimbal bearing, U-joint bellows and exhaust bellows. there in lies my problem, the exhaust bellows. I followed the manual to the T. After I glued the bellows with the adhesive to the transom side, i tightened the hose clamp. As tight as it would go w/ out stripping. than I reassembled the stern drive. She sat (trimmed down) for about a week. I finally found the time to take her out this past weekend, and when i pulled her out of the lake i noticed the exhaust bellows came off the transom side! i did not notice any difference in performance or volume while running. i hate to have to take it all apart one again. Is there something i missed? is there another kind of adhesive i should use? should i just run the exhaust through the transom?:D thanks in advance for your advise.

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Exhaust Bellows problem!

Easiest fix would be to lose the bellows and go to an exhaust tube.

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glue and sealant are just in case the clamp breaks, clean off everything , I use thinner and a rag, position the clamp on bellow so when you put it on you'll be able to tighten it, put dishsoap on bellow and on the part where the bellow goes on and lower the drive unit, once its lowered play with the bellow until it goes on, push it as far back as you can and tighten the bellow as much as you can. Good Luck.

luv2fishN.M.

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for all the advise guys;) I will be going w/ the exhaust tube. seems to be the best option. Happy boating:)

Friscoboater

Captain

I went with the exhaust tube this time and man it was easy.

pstorey

Recruit

I had the same problem when my exhaust bellows was installed in 06/09. It had my mechanic scratching his head. He couldn't believe that it would pull away from the transom with such strong adhesive. I was told to go with the exhaust tube but I think my engine noise is louder. My mechanic spoke with technicians and even they were scratching their heads. The fix they gave was impossible so my mechanic called back and they said use the tube but I don't like it being noisier. How about you?