Excessive tan gunk

05bigbuck

Recruit
Have an 88 9.9 long shaft leaking and plugging up from propeller with a tan gooey fluid. Gear lube does not appear to have the same issue, it is slightly used oil look with no water in it. I have attached pictures for reference. Any suggestions.?023458C8-3FEE-4491-9578-5E5FEDB28866.jpeggear lubeE0CDFEFB-A7AF-420F-8366-D21BC76EF348.jpeggooey

LuckDay

Cadet
That is gear lube mixed with water.
The seal is leaking one way. Possibly when getting hot or it is getting too hot like mechanical interference and the oil is pushing out.
Had that happen to me once. Come to find out I over filled the gear and it pressure ized. Also verify the type of lube used matches what the manufacturer recommends.
Luckday

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Does the Goo smell like Gas, or does it stink to high heaven?

lindy46

Captain
Most likely unburnt oil/gas residue. Not all of the oil which is mixed with the gas gets burned and that is what you are seeing.

05bigbuck

Recruit
Most likely unburnt oil/gas residue. Not all of the oil which is mixed with the gas gets burned and that is what you are seeing.
Im hoping so, just seemed a really excessive amount, around a quart or so has drained out. Plugs also had black gunk on them not the typical wet oil .

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A quart ??----Check thermostat on this motor .----Check fuel pump diaphragm.----Inspect float valve in carburetor.-----And pressure test the gearcase.

05bigbuck

Recruit
A quart ??----Check thermostat on this motor .----Check fuel pump diaphragm.----Inspect float valve in carburetor.-----And pressure test the gearcase.
Not sure how to do all those tests. I might have to take to a pro shop, if not something basic.