Excessive smoking

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Yes the timing Marks/link and sync are where there supposed to be,plugs are ngk b8s ,it ran fine before just confused as to why it doesn't run as before, perhaps I should try some synthetic oil
Last piece of advice, use OEM parts when available....sierra parts if that's all you can get, champion plugs....my motor doesn't like ngk's and run with cam roller 1/4 to 1/2 past the 2 marks......when I looked it up your Pennzoil was the cheapest on the market (wonder what that means)

Good luck with your motor.

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last piece of advice, use OEM parts when available....sierra parts if that's all you can get, champion plugs....my motor doesn't like ngk's and run with cam roller 1/4 to 1/2 past the 2 marks......when I looked it up your Pennzoil was the cheapest on the market (wonder what that means)

I do use OEM parts sometimes,but never had bad luck with Sierra parts,and I'll try advancing the timing on the cam ,and ohhh really? I'm definitely going to try some synthetic oil . Thanks

airshot

Rear Admiral
I'm using pensoil marine
That is what I use and have had my best sucess with. I know you said you have it mixed correctly, but what ratio are you using?? I would assume a 50 to 1.... Your mix can be off only slightly to make excess smoke, so be sure you mix very carefully, especially when adding more mixed fuel to a tank that still has fuel in it. I have found that mixing in a seperate container made a more accurate mix. I always mixed my fuel in 2 or 5 gallon cans. Add oil and the correct amount of gas into those containers, then use these containers to add fuel to the boat fuel tank. If you add oil then add fuel to the boat tank itself, it becomes very easy to get the mix ratio off and normally, off means a much richer oil mix.
When you adjust your carbs, they should be adjusted in the water while the boat is underway !! Adjustments made while in a tank or on muffs are not accurate.
Good luck....

airshot

Rear Admiral

Not sure what your location is, but Pennzoil TCW3 is considered a premium two cycle oil in my area unless you move to full synthetic. I have worked at various marina's here on the great lakes and most all highly recomend Pennzoil tcw3 or moving to synthetic.

tphoyt

Ensign
Iā€™m all for checking the fuel mix. Had a guy bring me a leaf blower the other day said it smoked a lot and air filer was oily. The fuel was almost black. I asked how he mixed his fuel and he said he just adds to the can when its low so he doesnā€™t run out. As a result he was probably running close to a 50/50 mix. Swapped out fuel and it ran like a champ.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
perhaps I should try some synthetic oil
I would first check to make sure your thermostat(s) are operating correctly. Will cause excessive smoke in colder temps if the motor isn't getting up to temp and or staying there.

As an Atlantic Striper fisherman, I spend many hours on the troll in 35-50 degree water temps. Tried just about every oil on the market at one time or another trying to keep the smoke down to appease customers.

Tried synthetic 2-stroke oil. Found no measurable difference in the amount of smoke produced for the price premium. Finally settled on two synthetic blends.....Evinrude XD 50 and Pennzoil Premium Plus.

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would first check to make sure your thermostat(s) are operating correctly. Will cause excessive smoke in colder temps if the motor isn't getting up to temp and or staying there.

As an Atlantic Striper fisherman, I spend many hours on the troll in 35-50 degree water temps. Tried just about every oil on the market at one time or another trying to keep the smoke down to appease customers.

Tried synthetic 2-stroke oil. Found no measurable difference in the amount of smoke produced for the price premium. Finally settled on two synthetic blends.....Evinrude XD 50 and Pennzoil Premium Plus.
Ok I was wondering if switching to full synthetic oil would make less smoke,and cleaner burning, thermostat is operating properly runs where it should be,I'm going to try some different oil šŸ›¢ļø

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure what your location is, but Pennzoil TCW3 is considered a premium two cycle oil in my area unless you move to full synthetic. I have worked at various marina's here on the great lakes and most all highly recomend Pennzoil tcw3 or moving to synthetic.
North West Ohio here,what's a good synthetic brand oil to try? There's so many options

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
IF the smoke is a new issue running the engine and you were using the same oil for a long time I suspect chasing synthetic oils to cure the problem ...will not resolve the underlying cause of the smoke and smoke is good :)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The general public thinks that a 2 stroke is an inferior motor.------And those E-tecs operate like a 4 stroke for part of the revolution of the crankshaft.------Able to do that with a good computer.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
The general public thinks that a 2 stroke is an inferior motor.------And those E-tecs operate like a 4 stroke for part of the revolution of the crankshaft.------Able to do that with a good computer.
Agreed, the speed of the emm is amazing when you think about it

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Give me a two stroke motor anyday over a 4 stroke,no comparison, definitely not inferior!

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
in memory the only reason they went 4 strokes was oily residues of 2 strokes spitted out as unburned oil by exhaust port design and purging of crankcase fuel-oil residues.
ETECs solved it by not mixing oil and gas although the early ones like my 2005 did slip in some oil in the fuel line. That was stopped around 2008 .
ETEC in and out ports are CLOSED before the fuel is injected and results in a clean burn meeting EPA standards. None of the inbound fuel exits the exhaust ports.
Anyone trolling an old 2 stroke with a backwind knows to turn around and troll upwind :)

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
ETECs solved it by not mixing oil and gas although the early ones like my 2005 did slip in some oil in the fuel line. That was stopped around 2008 .
ETEC in and out ports are CLOSED before the fuel is injected and results in a clean burn meeting EPA standards. None of the inbound fuel exits the exhaust ports.
Anyone trolling an old 2 stroke with a backwind knows to turn around and troll upwind :)
But I have been told that returning home smelling like unburnt two stroke oil is an aphrodisiac! Something to consider šŸ˜‰

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
very funny :) but not applicable in my case. The mere smell of oil, carb cleaner, smoke , gas , spray paint or diesel in my winter shop (basement) generates thunder . Even sweet smelling wd-40 is a no no :-(