Evinrude V4 leaking oil around prop

peterskeeter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 24, 2008
Messages
86
My Evinrude has been sitting up lately, suspended from an engine hoist. I am currently getting the transom ready for Seacast, but have ran into a problem. My motor is leaking oil from around the prop and it is NOT unburned premix oil, it is definitely gear case oil. It has never leaked oil before.

I noticed one month ago that the engine hoist "dropped", placing the skeg and prop into the mud, which was soft. I thought "No problem," as the mud was soft and the motor didn't seem to incur any damage. I simply lifted the hoist back up and it has been fine since. However, I have noticed the other day that I am now leaking gear oil from the base of the prop. In your experience, could a soft landing into the mud cause a seal to give way in a case like this?
 

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
51,019
Re: Evinrude V4 leaking oil around prop

it would have to be a pretty good fall. props hit all kind of things in the water, and the seal does not give.
 

peterskeeter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 24, 2008
Messages
86
Re: Evinrude V4 leaking oil around prop

Well, oddly enough, the prop seal was indeed the culprit. I guess maybe the age of it (being 20 years old) is what lead it to leaking easily. Changed the prop seal and O-ring on the carrier and no leaks so far. Thanks for the help and optimism!:)
 
Top