Evinrude v4 90hp no spark on one side

Thaiboxer04

Seaman
Hello all. I just bought an old Evinrude 90, not sure on the year yet but I think early 80's. It has oil injection with an external tank. I checked for spark yesterday and when facing the plug wires... the right 2 have good spark and the left 2 have nothing. I was wondering if anyone had ideas on what it could possibly be or what diagnostic tests to run on it. Thanks in advance!

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Typically if one whole bank is gone, it will be the stator or the powerpack. You can normally rule out ignition coils and possibly even the timer base, but I would still check the timer base.

To diagnose this you need a multimeter with a DVA adapter, and find your particular motor in the following manual. If you dont have a DVA meter, you can NOT diagnose this issue.

http://www.cdielectronics.com/support/

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
An engine with a VRO pump is at least 1984 or later. You can do a simple test. Swap the two power packs. If the non-firing problem switches to the other head, replace the power pack.

Thaiboxer04

Seaman
Thank you kindly gentleman! I will try to swap the power pack and report back. Have a great weekend all!