Evinrude Tilt/Trim help needed!

Cougar_15

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all, I am having some trouble with my TnT and I'm looking for some direction on how to troubleshoot/repair it. A little background, the TnT is off of a 1977 70hp Evinrude. It has the prestolite (3 wire) pump and uses one solenoid. I have the service manual for the outboard but since the TnT is an accessory it is not covered in the manual. The unit is off the motor.​

There are a couple issues (that I know about), the first is that the left piston will not retract all the way to the bottom of the cylinder (neither under power from the motor nor by hand with the manual release open) and does not have any tension on it (you can pull it up with no resistance). When the motor is run the left piston does not extend or retract.​

Below are 2 pics, the first show the piston as far down as it will go and the second shows it extended (by hand).​

attachment.php

attachment.php

The second thing that does to look right to me is the seal on the top of the right piston, it appear to be leaking and when the piston it extended it is covered with oil.​

attachment.php

So I'm looking for some ideas as to what's going on with this unit and some ideas as to a possible fix. The parts diagram has an o-ring kit listed for each piston but I have no idea how to take the piston apart...​

Attachments

• IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0280.jpg
    IMG_0280.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0281.jpg
    IMG_0281.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 0

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude Tilt/Trim help needed!

The (left) port cylinder is the trim; the (right) starboard cylinder is the tilt.

The system functions as shown in the diagrams (click to enlarge).

If the rams are etched, they will continue to leak. If they are smooth, you can replace the seals and they will work better.

You need a factory service manual for the model with tilt and trim to get very far with your repairs.

Attachments

• 1975 PT&T 1.jpg
    1975 PT&T 1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1975 PT&T 2.jpg
    1975 PT&T 2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 0

Cougar_15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the diagrams ezeke. You wouldn't happen to have any idea where I could find a service manual would you? I've tried a few place online but I have not had any luck so far....​

N1NE1

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have a 3000 page manual for just about all omc engines if you know a specific section that you need i could try and send thru email,not 100% positive i can because its password protected. let me know ...n1ne1@aol.com

Cougar_15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

N1NE1, Thanks for the offer to send me a section of the manual it's definitely worth a try. I sent you an email with some additional details.