Evinrude starting problem -200XP

Walleye Man

Seaman Apprentice
My 200 Rude has a hard time starting for the first time each day. I prime bulb is full of gas before I try to start it. After it has run once, it will be fine for the rest of the day. It seems like it is not getting choked by pushing in the key. I tested the voltage coming out of the switch when pressing in the key and get around 9 volts to the purple and white choke wire. I pulled the head cover off of the cylinders and when the key is off the cylinders are fully closed. Any suggestions?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude starting problem -200XP

I pulled the head cover off of the cylinders and when the key is off the cylinders are fully closed. <br />
I assume you mean the primer cylinder?<br /><br />Have you tried manually priming it?<br /><br />What year are we talking about here?

Walleye Man

Seaman Apprentice

The year is early 90's. The cover I pulled was the plastic one on the front of the motor held on by about 12 bolts. It exposed 6 plastic cylinders. How do you manually prime the motor other than by the pump bulb?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

You pulled of the airbox. Do you have a primer selonoid that looks like this or do you see choke flaps when you look into the carb throats? Pumping the bulb simply fills the carb bowls with fuel and does not have anything to do with choking the motor. It does need to be done before you start it, though. One way or the other, either the choke flaps close when you push the key switch, or it primes the system via a primer selonoid that lets fuel into the cylinders before staring. Sounds like you have a choke system, though.<br /><br />Primer Selonoid: One with the red lever..<br /><br />
carblinkage.jpg

Walleye Man

Seaman Apprentice

Rick<br /><br />I know I have the selonoid with the orange switch on it. When I took the AIRBOX(Thanks for clearing that up) off I could see the large flaps which covered the whole card area. I assume those are not the choke flaps?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

If you have the primer(Which you do), then turn the red lever so that it is NOT parallel to the selonoid and try and start it. That is manually priming it and odds are the selonoid is defective. Can you hear a "Click" at the selonoid when the key is pushed in?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

The large flaps you are seeing are the throttle plates(Not Choke) and should be closed when you look at them with the engine off. As you give it throttle when running, they open up to allow air into the carbs to mix with the fuel.

Walleye Man

Seaman Apprentice

We could hear a "click" when the key is pushed in. The guy listening thought it was coming from inside the airbox, that is why I took it off. Must of been from the selonoid though. So if the switch is perpindicular to the selonoid it will prime? Which is the way to run it normally?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Just the way mine looks is the correct position for normal running AND priming with the key switch.<br /><br />BTW- do not run the motor with the airbox off. Not good..

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Still, try it with the lever turned and see if it helps. This will allow you to pump fuel directly using the primer bulb into the cylinders, bypassing the primer.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Of course, when it starts and stays running, return the lever to the normal running position. Having 2 people would help so you do not have to run back and forth to the engine when starting. Then if this works, we can troubleshoot the primer.. Don't forget, normal starting procedure is: Pump up the bulb until firm, raise the fast idle lever about 1/3 of the way, push the key in for a count of 5 and then while holding the key in, start it.

Walleye Man

Seaman Apprentice

I will give this a try tonight at the lake. I decarbed it yesterday and it fired right up for the decarb. It has not been decarbed since I have owned it(5 years). I think this will help some as well. About 3 years ago I lost around 1000 RPM's and have not gotten them back yet. I will keep you posted on Monday about the motor and the fishing!!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Walleye Man <br /><br />Check your compression before you go any further. 1000 RPM's is nothing to sneeze about...

Walleye Man

Seaman Apprentice

Well I have decarbed the engine by using the 3/4 gallon mix in a seperate tank and few days later used Deep Creep in the throats and then in the cylinders. Holy Sh!t the thing smoked me out!! It has not been done since I bought the boat 5 years ago. <br /><br />About the original post, hard starting. It still starts hard, but when I manually prime the selonoid, it will fire within a second. Now where should I go?

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Did you do as Rick suggested and check your compression? Also, have you verified that all 6 cylinders are getting spark? I have another 150 Evinrude XP thread, and have been having spark problems on 2 cylinders. I think this is part of the reason it is so hard to start at first. After I get it started once though, it easily fires right back up (even if I am still getting no spark on #4 & 6). Maybe this means that I'm not getting enough gas in during priming too, but not sure. Anyways, once I mess with my coils and get spark on all 6, you can really hear the difference when idling (this is with muffs - haven't had it on the water yet this year due to all of the freaking rain!). I'm definitely no mechanic, but a good manual and the advice of guys like Rick on this forum should lead you to the root cause of your problem. I just picked up a Clymer manual for our engines last Sunday, and it was $37 very well spent!

Walleye Man

Seaman Apprentice

Best way to check for spark? I will get a compression tester rounded up soon.

Walleye Man

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, got a compression tester and found that I have the following psi:<br /><br />85,85,86,85,87,87<br /><br />After doing this it occured to me that maybe I should have run the engine to normal operation temps before doing the compression test?

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

My manual says to warm the engine up first, then do the test with the throttle lever in the full throttle position. It also said to disconnect the wiring connectors going to the powerpack to prevent it from accidentally starting, but I didn't do this (maybe foolish, but I wasn't too worried about it starting with no spark plugs in and only building compression on the one cylinder with the gauge screwed in!). One way to check for spark is to put the spark plug in the wire, then touch it up against the head to see if it sparks.