Evinrude power loss troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynnda

Recruit
Re: Evinrude power loss troubleshooting

Was there any solution to this issue? I have a 1994 35HP Evinrude doing the same thing. New carbs., fuel tank, line, spark plugs, coils, powerpack, fuel pumps, and more.

I'm having a problem with my 1990 Evinrude 70hp losing power while on plane. The problem has been intermittant and it doesn't show the same exact symptoms every time out. I have a really good mechanic who does my work for me, but when the problem first surfaced I immediately checked all the obvious stuff related to gas. New, gas, new tank, new hoses, etc. Same problem, runs good at idle AT FIRST then put it up on plane, run for a bit then it looses power and sometimes cuts off, but most of the time just bogs down until I am at 3/4 throttle and barely making way.

So after checking the gas I took it to my mechanic who suggested an ignition problem. First they checked compression which was on the money between all 3 cylinders....and had good spark on all 3 cylinders. They put it in the test tank and couldn't get it to fail. Being an intermittant problem my mechanic suggested that it could be the power pack. I agreed and got it replaced. They tested it again after replacing the pak - all looked good. I took the motor out.....same problem reared it's ugly head. Took it back, ran it in the test tank and I was there. It ran like a scolded dog for 20 minutes - no problem. Well, he said he would still dig deeper...took the flywheel off and the stator showed signs of melting. Went ahead and replaced that...while he was in he also replaced the recitifier. Felt certain this had to be the problem and that the motor was failing after heating up. Tested the boat in the tank after replacing the stator and all was good. I get the boat and take it out.....same old problem. At first it seemed like it might do OK.....ran OK at idle speed and too off like a shot from a gun when putting up on plane - for a second I thought all was good....then it bogged down again....AHHHH!!!

Going back to the basics I got a spare gas tank that my buddy had been running on his Evinrude all week and tried that just to rule out gas again. Same old problem........sounds like it's running on 2 cylinders or not getting gas. No problem starting and it normally runs at idle speed well and just gets worse when runnning it hard.

My mechanic says they could trouble shoot it fairly easily if they could just get it to fail in the tank. Frustrating that it runs fine in the tank, but awful when out on the water.

Hopefully he ran it in the tank again this evening and got it to fail. If not I suggested going ahead and replacing the 3 coils. He also said he was going to pull the carbs and take a look for any varnish, etc.

So does anybody have any bright ideas. This is the most frustrating thing I have gone through with an outboard and I have had a bunch. Maybe a reed valve?? I don't think that would be intermittant though.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!

barry light

Cadet

I have been having the same type problems with my 1991 25 hp evinrude.

I have the repair manual, have replaced power pack and coil ( even though the coil checked out fine). Its not a fuel problem. My next step is to replace the temperature switch. Your motor may have the SLOW warning as mine does. The temp switch will automatically slow the rpms when it detects overheating, then resets itself when motor gets back to normal temps.

Elbo1

Recruit

I have a problem I cannot figure out. I have a 1993, 115hp. I am afraid due to an accident I have not been able to fish often in three years. I last time I took it out it was very very slow getting out of the hold. Once it was out it ran good but a little slower than normal. After fishing for 10 minutes it would not get out of the hold at all. It also would not start unless "fast start"was applied. I had ran it once a month with ears on and it ran ok. Also a lot of smoke when it first starts. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

thanks,
Elbo1

shadowwade

Recruit

I have no comment on this but I could not figure out how to get my need posted. I have a 1988 70 hp evinrude with some major running issues so I need help desperately. I have #1 and #3 cylinders firing very little. I have rebuilt carbs twice because that is what a couple of mechanics told me was wrong. I have changed the power pack with a new one, changed all fuel lines, changed fuel tanks,completed compression check with all cylinders at 90lbs of compression. I have the old vro fuel pump still installed which has been bypassed for years and the boat has always ran great. I have been fighting tnis problem for a month now. Times are tough and I have not had the funds to take it to a boat mechanic because they are high. I am a car mechanic but this boat has gotten the best of me. So I need some help please!!!

RyanB82

Cadet
Hey guys, new to the forum. I recently bought a 1954 Evinrude big twin 25 hp. I took it out on the lake last weekend to find that the motor doesn't run at full power, like I see on some of these YouTube videos. I know I put the right oil gas ratio in it, and messed around with the throttle control adjustments, but no luck. I know the gas tank holds pressure too. Can't get more than 5mph out of it. Haven't done any work on it yet either. It's only pushing a 15 ft fiberglass boat, so it should push it around better than 5mph. Any ideas on where to start looking?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Test for spark.----It must be able to jump a gap of 1/4" on both leads.--No point laying plugs on the block.------Likely running on one cylinder.

RyanB82

Cadet
I'll try changing the spark plugs then? Who knows when the previous owner did. At the marina, it didn't run like crap, it's just that even with throttle all the way up, it only went like 5 mph. While running, it stayed running, and It wasn't hard to get started with pull start, this is my first boat so my marine mechanics experience is very minimal. I just got done restoring the boat, and conquering the electrical side of things was a major feat for me. Thx for any and all help

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No need to change the plugs.---Test for spark that will jump a gap of 1/4" or more !!

Bobby Drummond

Recruit
I have a 2005, 50hp, 4stroke and I'm having power loss problems. The engine will idle and when I accelerate on the water it won't come up to speed. When I came back in I changed the spark plugs because they were about 4 yrs. old but all of them looked good. No carbon buildup or anything. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about replacing the ignition coils on each spark plug. Thanks for any help.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have a 2005, 50hp, 4stroke and I'm having power loss problems. The engine will idle and when I accelerate on the water it won't come up to speed. When I came back in I changed the spark plugs because they were about 4 yrs. old but all of them looked good. No carbon buildup or anything. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about replacing the ignition coils on each spark plug. Thanks for any help.

Some day you will learn to listen to a Moderator. This the third time you've post in an old thread. Read our rules before posting again. Start your own thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.