Evinrude main fuse

Jmitch1102

Seaman
Thoughts on changing the main fuse holder? I had a problem with my trim switch shorting the main fuse on a a 1989 Evinrude 140hp. I have since replaced the trim switch. I was thinking of replacing the fuse holder to a 30 amp blade fuse instead of the short 30 amp glass fuse. I have blown it a couple times for various reasons and have trouble finding the small fuse when it happens. The blade fuses are cheaper and easy to come by. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
No problem. Use a water tight fuse holder though. Auto stores have them. You might want to determine why that fuse is repeatedly blowing. Fuses open for a reason. It's a BIG reason on a 30A fuse.

Jmitch1102

Seaman
I have found the problem each time. It usually is a result from a previous owners repairs. Nav lights, bilage pump, etc. The most recent time was my fault. the trim switch quit working so I took it apart and cleaned the contacts then added a little di-electric grease. It worked great until it sat in the sun and I think the grease melted down shorting the switch.