Evinrude leaking

My 1982 Evinrude 115 is dripping oil down the leg of the motor all the way down to the bottom. It appears to be coming from the base of the powerhead, but if you take off the cover, you can see oil all around the base of the inside of there too. The motor seems to run fun otherwise and the water pump is working. Also have steam coming out of the exhaust ports/buring oil smell. I want to replace the gaskets and water pump before the spring season. There is a complete gasket set for my motor for sale on Ebay right now with a starting bid of $50. Is that a good deal? Any other recommendations for the motor? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I still have a lot of learnig to do. Thanks

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: Evinrude leaking

I'm afraid I can't offer any advice on what the oil drip might be, only on your suggestion. My advice would be to use your $50 to buy a manual. I doubt you would need a whole gasket set, unless you're going to do a complete tear-down/rebuild. In a lot of cases, you can cut your own gaskets using an X-Acto knife and $1 worth of gasket material from local autoparts store.

fourchows

Cadet

Dear Glass: I sit here in front of the pc with oil under my finger nails. I just worked on my motor and took care of what appears to be a similar problem to yours. My motor is a Johnson 90 hp and the drip was similar as to what you described. It originated from the lower section of the exhaust cover (located between both heads on a 4 cylinder) and dripping over the T-stat housing, through the lower cover, and down the back of the leg. When I removed all one million bolts from the exhaust cover (I am exagerating, but they were many) I discovered that the gasket between the water plate and the exhaust plate was blown. Previously, I had replaced the gasket between the motor and lower housing figuring that was the culprit. The exhaust cover requires two gaskets. I purchased all three for about $25.00 at my local dealer. I plan to turn it on in the morning and check for leaks, which I am confident it won't be there.

Thanks a lot for the info. Someone had suggested earlier that it was possibly the base gasket but I was not sure because there was oil in the lower cover and motor where you described too. I will remove my exhaust cover and see if that is the culprit. Thanks for your post too BoatBouy, I was considering the entire gasket set because Im pretty sure most of the gaskets on the motor now are original, but I will probably not do that now. I have bought a Seloc manual for my motor but do not like it very much. Is there a better one you would recommend?

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

OMC manual, available from kencook.com, marineengine.com, maxrules.com, and others.