Evinrude Fuel Injected Rebuild Advice

david18

Seaman Apprentice
I consider myself to be an old school OMC guy having started in the business in 1980 and attending service schools numerous times over the 10 years that I worked on boats for a living. After moving to a new profession I have continued to work on the OMC motors for close to 30 years now. I have a guy that wants me to rebuild a 2001 Evinrude 225 fuel injected motor. My question is to the mechanics trained in the new engines. Could someone who has rebuilt hundreds of 2 stroke carb motors over the years have any problems rebuilding the fuely? The motor trashed a piston after being run out of the water so I know that the injection system didn't cause the failure. Are there any precautions or advice you can give? I have read posts from some very knowledgable mechanics on this forum and I would like your honest opinions.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Evinrude Fuel Injected Rebuild Advice

Get a 2000 factory service manual for that motor since there was no 2001 version.

Send the bad cylinder injector to dfitechnologies.com for rebuilding as debris may have damaged it.

Obtain the diagnostic software and cable or find someone FICHT trained to do the initial set up and running for you.

The rest is normal outboard nut and bolt work. Just follow the service manual precisely.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude Fuel Injected Rebuild Advice

OMC did publish a service manual supplement for the 2000 manual which showed any changes for 2001. Part # 787132