Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5hp shock absorber

friedmml

Recruit
I have the 7514, and when I took apart the lower unit, the shock absorber came out in two pieces, each with half of a spring in it. The reason I took it apart was that it would shift fine with the motor off, but would not engage a gear while running. Logic tells me that isn't that is supposed to happen. I tossed it in a vice and got it back together, but how long will this last? What are my alternatives?

I also have a 5.5 hp Johnson that appeared to have the same size shaft, however, when I tried to use the Johnson shock absorber and shaft in the evinrude, it appeared to be too big and caused the motor to seize up when I tightened down the powerhead. Does this make sense? Shouldn't the Johnson shock/shaft be interchangeable - why won't this fit?

emoney

Commander
Re: Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5hp shock absorber

Parts on the 7.5 are probably more combatible with the 9.9/15, whereas those bellow 7hp are similiar.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

I have been researching part #s for the shock absorber that you speak of. It looks like the same part # was used on the 5.5 1954 through 1964, 6 horse 1965 only, and the 7.5 ( I can only go back to 1956 but I suspect that it is the same 1954 through 1958, seeing as the 5.5 & 7.5 shared R&D on the gearcase & midsection since 1954 models.)
Some of the old microfiche pages are nearly illegible and appear to be doctored. The part # should be 376073 but sometimes appears to be hand-written as 378073 in the hard to read pages.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

5.5 and 7.5 use the same shock absorber. It is possible that your 5.5 Johnson absorber is expanded too. However that would cause it to sieze up when you tighten the water pump screws, NOT the powerhead screws. Is that what you meant to say? There were different length DRIVE shafts for different years, if you got into swapping shafts.

Your "fix" of putting the broken spring back in won't work. In fact, it may destroy the bearing plate under the water pump. Think $$$$.

As for your Johnson absorber, clean out the hole real good and peer in there to see if the spring is broken in that one too. If not broken, just press the assembly tight together to it's original length and re-use it.

Attachments

• Shock absorber operation iboats.jpg
    Shock absorber operation iboats.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1

kbait

Commander

I cut some of that spring out, and had the 'case' tig welded to the proper length for a cheap fix. Replacement is advised though, as you lose the 'rock hit' protection of the shock absorber. (Later, they used rubber prop hubs to absorb impacts..)

Good luck!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Oops, double post

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I've done the same thing Kbait did and it worked out fine. Except it was so long ago I had to use a stick welder.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

A lot of people tig weld the broken ones.