Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5 What Year?

motomanmatt

Cadet
I just purchased a beautiful Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5. Ser# 7524 - 04342

Can anyone tell me how I can determine the year this engine was made?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Model was made in 56 / 57 and 58.-----Yours is a 1958.-----A smooth running motor if in good condition.-----Step #1 is to look through top of flywheel to see if ignition coils are cracked.-----New water pump impeller if motor turns out to be a runner.------Mix gas / oil at 24:1 ratio.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
lucky find great engines ...easy to be converted to single line fuel hose if you are not nostalgic :)

get this bible book to service it ... it covers all you need to know

print locally double sided and have it spring bound

motomanmatt

Cadet
Thanks so much to both of you guys for the quick reply! Physically, this motor looks amazing. Almost as if it was never used. It's just spotless. With no scratches or anything. But I'm going to heed your advice and look at those things that you pointed out.

The only thing that is missing, and something I need to find, is the recoil starter. Somehow that's missing. I've been looking all over the internet. I've seen a few that might fit. But if you guys know of a place I should look, I would appreciate it! Thanks so much!

motomanmatt

Cadet
Thanks so much for your quick reply! Actually I just found one that looks to be in really really good condition. So I'm excited. Thank you!

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
this is another great book and it covers basically your engine in thoseyears

the 5.5 and 7.5 are very similar and the general upkeep info incl ingnition carburation gear case etc..are all well explained.

make certain you check the GC oil for water intrusion. ...some folks just drain/refill mid season for small leaks .... the other option is a GC reseal.. a challenge the first time around but help available here and on the AOMCI ask a member we site forum where oldys are the main focus . great resource fo folks who sold- repaired or made those engines !

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Powerhead needs to be removed ( simple job ) to change water pump impeller.-----Something that you must do now.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
here is a good video...just a 7 bolts to remove.

the base gasket under the PH may break so try not to damage it they are available in case ..just get the exact one because patterns change

under the PH is a carbon seal on the drive shaft it is very brittle so don't drop it !!
you can change impeller only but a new water pump housing kit is available $$

when you inpect the ignition maybe chage coils and plug wires you can retime everything with a simple VOM.

if you are familiar with OB maintenance great if not don't dispair ...it is not as complicated as it seems at first glance. :)

try to post photos of your new project

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
recoil parts

posting want ads in the AOMCI classified section should get a nibble. look for used parts resellers like DougPenn , vintage outbaord.com

motomanmatt

Cadet
this is another great book and it covers basically your engine in thoseyears

the 5.5 and 7.5 are very similar and the general upkeep info incl ingnition carburation gear case etc..are all well explained.

make certain you check the GC oil for water intrusion. ...some folks just drain/refill mid season for small leaks .... the other option is a GC reseal.. a challenge the first time around but help available here and on the AOMCI ask a member we site forum where oldys are the main focus . great resource fo folks who sold- repaired or made those engines !

Thanks so much, Crosbyman! Great tips! I've been wrenching on vintage motorcycles and British sports cars for the last 30 or 40 years so I'm hoping that experience will come in handy working on this old motor. I will take any and all advice, cautions, suggestions and tips! So far this forum has been an amazing resource. Thank you!

Matt

motomanmatt

Cadet
Model was made in 56 / 57 and 58.-----Yours is a 1958.-----A smooth running motor if in good condition.-----Step #1 is to look through top of flywheel to see if ignition coils are cracked.-----New water pump impeller if motor turns out to be a runner.------Mix gas / oil at 24:1 ratio.
Thanks, racerone.

motomanmatt

Cadet
Thanks, racerone.
I found and ordered a copy of the shop manual. Won't be here for a week. I imagine I have to remove the flywheel on the top of the motor as you suggested to see the coils? I have experience working on motors and have just about every tool under the sun. I could guess on how to get the flywheel off, but if you have any suggestions and things to be careful of I would take that. Otherwise I'll wait till the shop and you'll get here.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No need to remove the flywheel.----Post #2 clearly states that you can look through the flywheel to inspect this simple magneto.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Flywheel is removed with a puller that uses 3 bolts.-----Bolts are a 1/4-20NC thread.----Do not put bolts in too far or you might damage new coils , if coils have been replaced.----All 1958 ( original ) coils are cracked or have been replaced

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
to bad you did not dowload the bible... you could have printed it and kept a back-up on the PC for 20$

see puller with inverted nylon bolts to stop bolts from hitting ignition parts

Attachments

• puller.JPG
    puller.JPG
    397.4 KB · Views: 3