Evinrude DI's - best fuel additives to use?

MakoNY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yami guys swear by ring free, Merc guys by Quickleen. I just got a pair of Evinrude DI's and want to hear what other guys are using in them.

Is the Carbon Guard the best thing to use? Is 2+4 just for storage?

I always use Star Tron in my fuel to keep it fresh and to treat the Ethanol. Should I be using Carbon Guard along with Star Tron?

Also the engines have only been run on XD-50 since they were new in '04 and that's all I will ever run in them. BRP's site shows the below for the XD-50....would this mean that you don't need to run anything in the fuel for carbon control?

Contains CarbX combustion cleaner to keep carbon in suspension
and away from critical components

Thanks.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude DI's - best fuel additives to use?

You will get a million different answers from run every miracle in a can product all the time, to use nothing at all. Running some kind of a cleaner occasionally isn’t going to do any harm even if it doesn’t help much, so other than cost there is no down side. Running all of these all the time is sort of a waste of money, it may make you feel better, and if that’s the goal then go for it. Without a great deal of time and money to do the research it would be very difficult to know which one works the best, most people will say their go to product is XXX and they’ve never had an issue, and since very few people actually have problems whether they use one or not, they’re right.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I'm with ondarvr on this.

Keep fresh fuel in the tank and good oil in the tank and don't worry about it during the season.

I run XD50. Took the heads off the motor for inspection at 1400 and 2100 hours. Not a speck of cabon build-up.

MakoNY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, good to know. The engines barely smoke, if at all, so I figured carbon build up wouldn't be as much of an issue as I've been used to my whole life with carbed motors.

dingbat, good to know that even a carbed motor run with XD-50 was carbon free especially after that many hours. Guess XD-50 is good stuff.

kungpaoshizi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got a boat few weeks back, was REALLY rough running.. Seafoam seemed to make a little difference, but after I put Marvel Mystery Oil in, it ran considerably smoother hands down...
I've been using MMO for awhile in the gas and oil for my cars, in the oil it's not noticeable, but in the gas rpm changes are light and day smoother than without...
Like one guy said, some swear by additives, others think they're unnecessary, but mmo is a light oil with solvents and I really don't like running an engine without it. The only concern I've ever heard is long/heavy use might* lead to fuel injectors going bad. But this was just thought, and never directly linked... but in theory if the rubber parts in the engine (seals) are on the way out, it might aggrivate that because it makes seals swell to a certain degree. (miata racing forums you'll find a good degree of chatter about mmo)

But really, for anyone that thinks they're unnecessary, it might be, but I dare ya to use 1 dose in your gas in your car, you will notice the difference as the engine runs smoother after about half hour of putting it in.

Another noteworthy thought was one guy who said he's always used it, but doesn't work on his own cars, and he took it in for an issue, the mechanic said he took the valve cover off and has never seen a car with 200k+ miles on it and the valve cover area that clean.

/shrug .02$

I'm curious about the ring free stuff, heard a bit of chatter about it too