Evinrude compresion at 40psi on 1 cylinder

jgroh

Cadet
Looking at buying Evinrude with 1 cyl showing 40psi dry. Anything major to be concerned with? All others are over 100.<br /><br />Thanks

plywoody

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude compresion at 40psi on 1 cylinder

Yep, Hope it is real cheap!<br /><br />It will need to be repaired. No idea the scope of the repairs-could be large, could be not so large, but repairs it will need.<br /><br />John

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Joe.<br /><br />That could be as simple as carboned up rings that can be cleared by a good decarbonizing.<br /><br />It could also be several thousand bux worth of repair.<br /><br />I might let the guy give it to me but I wouldn't be likely to offer him any money for it.<br /><br />By the way, is this a 4hp 'Rude? Or maybe a 225? How about a 300?<br /><br />Good luck. :)

jgroh

Cadet

Appreciate the info. It's a 1988 150 Evinrude which also includes a 18'6' Robalo CC with good trailer for $5200. The boat itself seems worth 5k, has T-top, radio,GPS,new batteries, etc... Not the best season to buy but sounds OK so far.

ob

Admiral

Joe, as JB states ,what horse power motor is it? Might be worth fixing depending on year model ,reason for low compression,and price.Also, consider some of the used motors sold right here on iboats.I've heard some good feedback from people who have.Post back with hp of motor seeking and price range.

ob

Admiral

Joe, if seller would agree ,arrange to have rig brought to reputable dealership and have motor condition inspected and and obtain repair and or service estimate.Good luck.