Evinrude 9.5 needle setting and leaking fuel thru hole

georgeJeff

Cadet
Recnently i asked the group about the float bowl vent on the carb. Learned that i had plugged the vent, the hole directly under the bowl, and shouldnt have. I unplugged the hole, and now fuel squirts out of it everytime i pump the bulb. This is not right is it?

Furthermore, everything i read says to set the needle to 1.5 turns and adjust in to find the sweet spot. The motor will not run at all at this setting. It may run for a second or two then die. The motor requires a setting of about 5 to 6 turns, then it will idle and accelerate well in the tank.

Any ideas? New points , condensers, all gaskets, fuel connections, plugs, wires, you name it.

And a carb kit, or two.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

masterbt

Seaman
Re: Evinrude 9.5 needle setting and leaking fuel thru hole

had same problem on a 6hp. got to looking at diagram and verified number of lead shot had 1 missing. pluged and everything worked fine

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Your float is not floating, the needle not seating, something like that. Have you cleaned and rebuilt the carb?

Some of those 9.5s you can get tuned, but there is always a bad apple that doesn't want to idle well without a struggle. It is running too lean for some reason, and you are compensating with the needle. You have to find that air leak.

dazk14

Ensign

Can you post a pic of the hole "Under the bowl" you plugged that is now leaking.

Did you set/check the float height (turn upside/down) when you had it apart. Set low will cause lean running.

How is the idle needle packing. you don't want air leaks there.

Last edited:

georgeJeff

Cadet

I can't post a pic until morning, but will then. I have rebuilt the carb 3 times. Last time I boils it for some time in a mixture of lemon juice white vinegar, and water. Pretty sure it's clean.

The float is ever so lightly high opposite the hing upside down. Air will not blow thru it upside down, but will right side up.

Suspected air leak at the tank, saw bubbles in filter. Removed the quick connect and submerged the fuel pickup line in the tank. That helped idle a lot. New bulb, new fuel lines. The last thing I can do to rule out air leak is to bypass the quick connect at the motor, will do that when weather warms up.

I have repacked the needle, can't imagine that is the issue, famous last words I know.

Just about to create an artificial reef in the Cumberland with it. By the way, it will start when warm with a 2 inch pull. But after several minutes seems to load up and die.

nwcove

Admiral

as mentioned, are you sure the float floats??

georgeJeff

Cadet

Well the float is new, for what ever that means. I will take the silly thing apart again and see if it floats. A nonfloating float would not account for the number of turns on the needle would it?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Was the high speed jet removed from the float bowl for cleaning ?

nwcove

Admiral

Well the float is new, for what ever that means. I will take the silly thing apart again and see if it floats. A nonfloating float would not account for the number of turns on the needle would it?

nope, but would account for the gas running out of the vent. the needle thing is another animal, either the carb passages/jets are not clean, or as mentioned, its sucking air from somewhere it shouldnt.

georgeJeff

Cadet

All hail nwcove! Just took the top of the carb off, took some pics for posting in the morning. Removed the float, took the needle off and sat aside. The bowl was full by the way. Reinserted the pivot pin on the float. Carefully holding only the pivot pin ends, dropped The other end of the float in the bowl, sunk! Didn't bobble, didn't come up for air, SUNK! Brand new OEM part.

This is a cork float, apparently you can't get a plastic float for these motors. I'm going to look into making one.

Thanks to all. I believe bypassing the quick connect at the motor will solve the other issue. Thanks to all

Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral

All hail nwcove! Just took the top of the carb off, took some pics for posting in the morning. Removed the float, took the needle off and sat aside. The bowl was full by the way. Reinserted the pivot pin on the float. Carefully holding only the pivot pin ends, dropped The other end of the float in the bowl, sunk! Didn't bobble, didn't come up for air, SUNK! Brand new OEM part.

This is a cork float, apparently you can't get a plastic float for these motors. I'm going to look into making one.

Thanks to all. I believe bypassing the quick connect at the motor will solve the other issue. Thanks to all

if you scroll up, i believe hightrim mentioned a non floating float....i was just seconding that possibility! lol

georgeJeff

Cadet

6730.jpg

Here is the pic that I promised. The leaky hole is directly under the end of the yellow zip tie. Is this the float bowl vent?

georgeJeff

Cadet

Hang on a second I will attempt to resize the picture.

georgeJeff

Cadet

DSC_6730 1.5 mb.jpg

Is this picture any better? I don't know what the max. file size is, just that the original picture format was too big. This one is 1.5 mb.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

haven't we been through this already?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

That float is the rectangular one, right? that is, not the round one? The long part of the float (longest part of the float from the arm with the pivot pin) goes down into the carb bowl -- the lower half of the carb. I bring this up because in other OMC small carbs with the round float, it is possible to put the float in upside down. I don't know if there is enough space in the upper half of your carb to install the float upside down, but maybe there is. So....you want to be sure the float is not upside down. As to non-floating cork floats, a fix was to coat them with fuel proof coating used in building model airplanes, but maybe that is now long gone -- point is, you could waterproof the float, maybe with varnish or epoxy. Other listers may have better suggestions for coating/recoating cork floats. But be sure the blasted thing is not upside down in the carb.

georgeJeff

Cadet

Yes, the float is rectangular. And yes, it will go in either way. I wonder if that is my problem? Well, ignorance is the problem, I wonder if that is the result? Thanks to all.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

ah, don't give up on it. maybe set it aside for a bit (Zen and the art of outboard maintenance....) It's only January.

I think when I installed the old round float upside down(!) the bowl overfilled (motor ran, if poorly), but don't recall if there was an overflow that was visible.

Last edited: