Evinrude 9.5 how long until thermostat opens

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What would it hurt,if one was to remove the thermostat? I suppose it was placed in there for some reason

tphoyt

Ensign
It keeps your operating temp where it was designed to be for everything to work properly.

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Makes sense, just like a automobile engine,I'm replacing it today,see if that helps

tphoyt

Ensign
Yep or even like your self.
If you get cold you put on a jacket if hot you take it off to keep yourself at the optimum temp for best performance. 😂

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I'm stumped,new thermostat,it still run very hot ,to hot to touch,it steams out of the water tube exhaust,and also stumbles, tried carb adjustments both ways doesn't seem to affect it, only thing I haven't done is use a rebuild kit for the carburetor,it's been cleaned throughout tho

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Well I'm stumped,new thermostat,it still run very hot ,to hot to touch,it steams out of the water tube exhaust,and also stumbles, tried carb adjustments both ways doesn't seem to affect it, only thing I haven't done is use a rebuild kit for the carburetor,it's been cleaned throughout tho
Fix overheat problem first. Most likely plugged up water passages.

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just changed the impeller the bearing housing gasket and a new thermostat within the last 2 days, and it's never been in saltwater as far as I know so I'm kind of stumped on this one, it pumps water fine it just gets very hot

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I just changed the impeller the bearing housing gasket and a new thermostat within the last 2 days, and it's never been in saltwater as far as I know so I'm kind of stumped on this one, it pumps water fine it just gets very hot
Everything you want to know about your motor and more.

tjandrews

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't know how often it happens with outboards but if it were one of my old farm tractors, I'd suspect a head gasket leak between a cylinder and the water jacket. Or maybe a warped/damaged cylinder head.
I've owned a 9.5 since 1984. It was given to me after I was looking to buy it, but started it and found out one cylinder was cracked. Had to replace the block with a used one, but it lasted many years before needing additional major repairs.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I don't know how often it happens with outboards but if it were one of my old farm tractors, I'd suspect a head gasket leak between a cylinder and the water jacket. Or maybe a warped/damaged cylinder head.
I've owned a 9.5 since 1984. It was given to me after I was looking to buy it, but started it and found out one cylinder was cracked. Had to replace the block with a used one, but it lasted many years before needing additional major repairs.
I thought I included this in post 31 but I don't see it. Have you read this?

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I pulled the cylinder head off,the bolts around the lower cylinder were definitely not torqued to spec's,and the bottom cylinder part of the head has gotten hot in the past,paint is all gone , looked both cylinders over ,they seem to be in decent shape,new head gasket on order, fingers crossed

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The head is warped ( they all are )-----Needs to be refinished to true it up.----Emery cloth on a piece of glass is one way.

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The head is warped ( they all are )-----Needs to be refinished to true it up.----Emery cloth on a piece of glass is one way.
I checked it with a true straight edge,it from various places,looks pretty true to me ,but I don't doubt they warp

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some will argue.----I have never found a 40 year old aluminum head that was flat.----Easy to correct so that head gasket will be properly compressed on install.

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm not doubting what you've said,I'm going to recheck it today before I install the new head gasket