Evinrude 8hp lower unit seals

Matt129

Seaman
Hello everyone. I have an old Evinrude 8hp outboard that runs great, but when I test it in a bucket of water, the water gets cloudy which I believe means it needs lower unit seals. I know they have oil stop leak for car engines, would it be okay to try that in the lower unit before tearing it apart?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Stop.------Is there any water in the gear oil ?-----Oil in the water may be normal, yes normal.----It is the nature of how a 2 stroke operates.-----I would not use the " mechanic in a can " approach here.-----First determine if you have an issue.-----Pressure test the gearcase to find leaks.-----Gears and that propshaft bearing carrier are expensive.-----Seal kit is cheap.

Matt129

Seaman
Stop.------Is there any water in the gear oil ?-----Oil in the water may be normal, yes normal.----It is the nature of how a 2 stroke operates.-----I would not use the " mechanic in a can " approach here.-----First determine if you have an issue.-----Pressure test the gearcase to find leaks.-----Gears and that propshaft bearing carrier are expensive.-----Seal kit is cheap.
I changed the lower unit oil last year and I really didn’t notice any water but I wasn’t checking lol, I had just started working on outboards. The water in the test bucket turns milky when I run it. Is that normal?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes it is.-----If you research / understand the basics of 2 stroke operation you would find out.----Some gasoline and oil goes right through the motor.----Does nothing inside the motor.-----Collects in your test bucket.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just pull the plug in the lower unit, does amber or brownish oil come out of a milkshake looking cream colored oil? The later indicates water. If it's been sitting awhile there may be pure water that runs out before any water.

But yes running it in a bucket can cause the water to become cloudy especially in a small like 5 gallon bucket. This is the unburned oil from the exhaust and is normal as said.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Water would come out before the oil.
Yes once it separates. But if you have run it recent you will have milkshake.

I did mis word it in the end I said water would come out before water the second water should be oil.

But to clarify if it's brown or Amber colored oil that comes out your good no water. If it's milkshake colored or milky looking that's bad it's oil and water mixed. If it's been a long time since run pure water will come out first then oil after it...this only occurs if it's settled out.

Matt129

Seaman
Thanks for putting my mind at ease everyone, the lower unit may be completely fine then. Phew 😂

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
obviously meant pure water comes out before any OIL
&
corrected in his post #7

I did miss word it in the end I said water would come out before water the second water should be oil.

Scallie

Recruit
That is normal for 2 strokes, some oil/fuel is unburnt out exhaust. Perfectly normal see this in test tank.