evinrude 85

ginagirl

Cadet
Without dissasembling it...how can i check if the motor is locked up without having a key?

kbait

Commander
Re: evinrude 85

Rotate flywheel by hand clockwise.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

gina, why do you suspect it is locked up? Even if not locked up, that certainly doesn't mean it is any good. It can be totally worn out and not be locked up.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Yes, why do you ask ?? There must be a reason. Tell us as we're all ears. Or eyes.

ginagirl

Cadet

I realize that but someone put this thing in storage (bought it at a storage auction) and was paying on it for a reason....the boat itself needs seats and a new floor, trailer needs some repairs. The only thing that would be worth it is the motor

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I realize that but someone put this thing in storage (bought it at a storage auction) and was paying on it for a reason....the boat itself needs seats and a new floor, trailer needs some repairs. The only thing that would be worth it is the motor

As stated, can't really tell too much by just seeing if it will turn over.
Heck the rings could be frozen, and it will turn over real easy.
Shouldn't take much to get either the ignition switch working, or work around the ignition switch. Once you can get the engine to crank, you can test it's compression which is a far greater measure of the engines overall health.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If the engine flywheel moves by hand, pull the plugs and squirt a very small amount of oil into each cyl. Leave the plugs out. Use a set of automotive jumper cables direct to the starter from a known strong battery. Once you know it turns over, you can compression check the engine. You would not want to put any $ into the engine till you know the compression is good.