Evinrude '75 25 hp cylinder drops out

Effer

Cadet
Model 25502B. One cylinder (have not determined which one yet) cuts out at low RPM but not all the time.
I've replaced the ignition coils and plug wires, points/condensers, and set the point to .02"

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Effer

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Clean the carb yet?

Get a spark checker and you'll know if it's a spark issue, and if it is you'll also know which cylinder has the problem.

Last edited:

Effer

Cadet
Yes, I've over hauled the carb and cleaned out all passages. Wouldn't it have to be electrical when only running on one cylinder?

I have a spark checker but the problem doesn't happen all the time. Seems to run fine at high RPM's but runs intermittently on one cylinder at idle speeds and then dies but will be fine again for awhile after it's re-started.

Effer

Cadet
Checked spark with a spark checker, jumps across a 5/16" gap, but again it's an intermittent problem. Runs on both cylinders at higher than idle speed but at idle sometimes only runs on 1 then sometimes will pop back to running on 2.

Other suggestions?

Thanks.

Hoop1101

Cadet
You might be able to narrow down the cylinder by placing the spark checker in-line with a spark plug, then running the engine. Run at idle and check for intermittent weak/no spark on spark tester that corresponds with the engine misfire. I have also heard to use an inductive timing light to diagnose an intermittent weak spark. Good luck, I am working on this problem myself (different motor). I think I have narrowed mine down to either a power pack or sensor coil with intermittent problems.

Last edited:

Effer

Cadet
Yup, only OEM parts. Had same issue before I replaced points/condenser, and both ignition coils/plug wires/caps.