evinrude 5hp 4 stroke E5R4SSB water in oil

Michawilden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,

I got a, new to me, 2000 5 hp 4 stroke evinrude single cylinder. Motor runs fine and cools nicely but it has water in the oil.

Previous owner stated that the motor over heated because of a bad impeller and started leaking oil after the impeller has been replaced.
The engine started easily and oil came dripping out of the oil filter. It was a little bit loose to I tensioned it and the leak stopped. Now I see that my oil is getting milky.
It does not have a thermostat installed so it doesn't heat up enough in order to clear out condensate. But it it possible that this water is coming from somewhere else? It runs allright so I dont think I have a problem with the head gasket. But is it possible that the crankcase ruptured because of the heat? Or where could water get in the oil?

I will buy a new thermostat also will run it some time in order to get the water out if it is only from running at low temps.

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
It could be a head gasket or a base gasket that is blown from overheating, however, if you have good compression, it probably is not the gaskets. I would definately replace that thermostat, change the oil, and take it out on the lake. After trolling or slow idle for awhile, run the motor at WOT for a bit to heat it up better. This will help eliminate the condensation that developes while running it on low or trolling idle. Then check the oil. If it is milky again, check your gaskets out, and even check for a warped head (but I doubt that tooo with good compression). I think a little water in the oil on a small four cycle is a bit normal due to condensation, but not a lot of water for sure.

Michawilden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the reply. I will fix the thermostat, change the oil and try it out. It looks like a lot of water but maybe if i flush it a couple of times with oil I can rinse most of it out. I will keep you posted.