Evinrude 50's "polychromatic blue" paint....in a spray can?

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Evinrude 50's "polychromatic blue" paint....in a spray can?

a compelling argument, for sure....

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is the OEM paint lacquer or enamel?

Also...how big (ounces) are the cans?

Anyone know? I've snooped around the internet, but can't find any "real" info....

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

They're the standard spray paint can size that is used for any typical size. You might try Sea-Way Marine, in Seattle. They have a pretty good stock of supplies for these older motors.

nwcove

Admiral

i have a few that need paint, i find myself looking at the color of cars in parking lots, and actually see some good to excellent color matches for some of the old motors! duplicolor sells a real good match for 56/57 johnsons ....vintage red pearl.
if i had an indoor space to paint (tried it in the basement....was public enemy #1 in the house for a day!) i would definitely go with nymarine, but outdoors, watching my paint blow away in the wind, i stick with "close as i can get" colors.

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I placed an order for a couple of cans of the 771259 Evinrude paint. I'll report back with pictures when I get a few coats sprayed....

(I, too, find myself driving down the road looking at cars & thinking how close some of them are to Evi's polychro blue)

EDIT: Hey!! Check it out! 50th post....I'm a 3-stripe Seaman!!

(not bad for a guy with a 100T/100M USCG MM License :) )

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

I placed an order for a couple of cans of the 771259 Evinrude paint. I'll report back with pictures when I get a few coats sprayed....

(I, too, find myself driving down the road looking at cars & thinking how close some of them are to Evi's polychro blue)

EDIT: Hey!! Check it out! 50th post....I'm a 3-stripe Seaman!!

(not bad for a guy with a 100T/100M USCG MM License :) )

So is that the early polychromatic blue? Or the late? They're really quite different. Not like 57 and 58 Holiday bronze. Hate to see you go to all this trouble and then wind up disappointed.

Cheers.................Todd

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Ask your dealer to order you a spray aerosol can of the OEM paint from BRP, don't mess with anything else, as the OEM paint is perfect and correct. It's fast drying, so apply in several thin coats rather than one heavy one. I just got some for $7.99, and that's a good deal. It's also for sale on the internet as well, try IBoats! Why pay $25-35 a can for custom mixed alkyd (decals dont stick to it either) which is non UV resistant and needs a clear top coat when OEM fuel and UV proof paint is availlable for under $10/can? Besisdes, the custom mixed paint only lasts a few months in the can.

I'll use the above post as a starter, but I'll try to address several of the recent comments as well. I'm a former paint chemist and I painted my first outboard back in the 1960's. So, I may not be an expert like some, but I'm not a rookie either.

Back in the day, OMC oem aftermarket paint was lacquor. You needed to have some special credentials to use that stuff back then, so that's why they don't sell that anymore. Current OMC (i.e., BRP) paint is an alkyd enamel. More user friendly. Its label reads just like NYMarine's, except I'm sure the proportions are not the same even though the ingredients are. Both are 12 oz containers as well.

Decal "sticking" is equivalent for both varieties, or if you use rustoleum or any of the cheap paints. I use waterslide and "stickers", depending upon my mood. When possible, (if I can get a good image), I make my own waterslide decals with Photoshop and a good jet dot printer. That's my preference! Not that I can do it better, but I can do it the same for 25 cents, as opposed to 34 dollars from the suppliers on the net.

I will agree that the BRP paint is awesome and I would use it if it was available. Trouble is thnat my local dealers are not interested in selling it, and its too much trouble to order it. My problem, not yours. Color match is perfect for BRP or NYM, so that's not an issue.

Clearcoating is required on the decals, no matter what variety, but NONE of the paints require it to be fuel proof or UV proof.

Clearcoat your motor and it'll look pretty and last long. But at a sanctioned show it won't even place. It'll look better than original. All depends what you want to do with it.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

So is that the early polychromatic blue? Or the late? They're really quite different. Not like 57 and 58 Holiday bronze. Hate to see you go to all this trouble and then wind up disappointed.

I have a can of that myself. Awesome color and awesome paint quality. But the 771259 is for a 1967 vintage Evinrude. They used the term "polychromatic" for many years, though the shades were different.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

i have a few that need paint, i find myself looking at the color of cars in parking lots, and actually see some good to excellent color matches for some of the old motors! duplicolor sells a real good match for 56/57 johnsons ....vintage red pearl.
if i had an indoor space to paint (tried it in the basement....was public enemy #1 in the house for a day!) i would definitely go with nymarine, but outdoors, watching my paint blow away in the wind, i stick with "close as i can get" colors.

Sad story. Need to take her out to dinner more often. I paint several motors each winter so the Wife is used to it. I plan on painting her kitchen this winter so she knows enough not to complain....LOL. Fact is that it may have a slight odor, but its not like a carcinogen. Just keep the basement door closed! Painting outside and losing paint ($) in the wind is the least of the problem. Makes for a crappy paint job.

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hate to see you go to all this trouble and then wind up disappointed.

No worries! If it's way wrong, I'll paint a guitar with it or something.....

kfa4303

Banned

uh oh. Another guitar guy!!! Me too. You're getting cooler by the day Mark. What do you play?

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm a jazz guitarist and gig with mostly 335's & 345's, but I have a bunch of other stuff, too, including a '54 ES175, a McCurdy archtop, couple of tele's (that's where the paint goes!), firebirds, a '42 Epi Blackstone, couple of 000 flat tops...

I've built, painted & sold enough teles to fill a small truck.....fun stuff, and I've gotten some pretty decent results, (if I do say so myself). If the Evinrude color is way off for my needs, I'll just build another telecaster!

The ES175 is a '54, but I'm planning on selling it to buy or make (haven't decided which) a boat. I was going to make a Glen-L runabout, but just last night I found a guy with a 14' Century rear-steer that I might have to buy!

But none of that makes me cool, I assure you! The dog sitting next to me makes me cool.....:D

backyard-SMALL.jpg

Do you know about the gear page? http://www.thegearpage.net/board/

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Gotta love the dog in the picture there :D:D

lindy46

Captain

That dog looks like Yoda!

kfa4303

Banned

Cool doggie! WOW! You got all kinds of cool gee-tars!!!! I'm just starting to get into jazz, but the more I learn the more I want to learn. I'm pretty good with the chords and changes, but I don't really have an ear for jazz soloing yet :/ I wish I could afford to take that '54 ES175 off your hands. Sounds like you're trading your guitar addiction for a boat addiction. Awesome! :) I'm a strat guy myself, but I looooove that Tele twang. So now all you have to do is build a Tele themed outboard. I'm thinking guitar neck for a tiller, Vol and Tone knobs for the Hi/Lo speed needles with a vintage Tele Paisley paint job. Maybe hide a Pignose in there some where......the possibilities are endless. Uh.......so what was wrong with your motor again :) LOL! May the force be with you!

rhull39

Cadet

Hey Mark, I Had the same motor a while back. Loved it and still don't know why I sold it. I painted mine with a spray can and it came out great with a little clear coat over the decals. I didn't worry about matching it though.

ev15001.jpg

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That engine looks great! These things have such wonderful art deco lines, that I think they'd look great in any color!

Where did you get your decals? Are those from nymarine.ca?

KFA: too many guitars, not enough boats. Selling something is completely logical! The 175 is a player piece, not a collector piece. PM me if you want more info....

rhull39

Cadet

That engine looks great! These things have such wonderful art deco lines, that I think they'd look great in any color!

Where did you get your decals? Are those from nymarine.ca?

KFA: too many guitars, not enough boats. Selling something is completely logical! The 175 is a player piece, not a collector piece. PM me if you want more info....

Thanks. Yes, I believe that is where I ordered them from. Canada. It was the only place I could find the model correct decals. Great little motors. Simple to work on, powerful and yes, the lines on these 50's era motors are awesome. Remind me of the vehicles of the same time frame.

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Back to stickers...

(and away from dogs & guitars!)

It was stated above that nymarine sold stickers, not decals. So now I'm confused again.

I can see decals needing a clear coat, but I can't see such a need for stickers....

I'm not trying to get lost in terminology or semantics, I just don't want to mess up my restoration.

Do "stickers" need clearcoating? And if so, why?