Evinrude 50's "polychromatic blue" paint....in a spray can?

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone sell Evinrude mid-50's "polychromatic blue" paint....in a spray can?

<------------(That color....in the picture)

Or perhaps a duplicolor (or some other car paint) that's close?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude 50's "polychromatic blue" paint....in a spray can?

Yes, very good matches too www.nymarine.ca

you can even see pictures of restored motors too.

daydreamer1252

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check NAPA...at one time (mid 80's) they had paint to match most all outboards color schemes....but that was a long time ago....they like every other retailer have shrunk their offerings over the years.

Likely the color can be had in quarts the spray can may make it harder.....

Good luck...

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Check NAPA...at one time (mid 80's) they had paint to match most all outboards color schemes....but that was a long time ago....they like every other retailer have shrunk their offerings over the years.

Likely the color can be had in quarts the spray can may make it harder.....

Good luck...

If they had a really old (and most likely flat) can of Tempo brand paint on hand, you can do that. But the poly-chromatic blue of that era has been discontinued for quite some time as far as I know.

The link Zephyr posted is the OP's best bet. Color from them would probably match allot better than something out of an old rattle can.

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The NYMarine site is good to know about, thank you!!....but $20/can {+ customs / duty}? :eek:

I went to 3 auto stores [not NAPA, admittedly]....2 sold Duplicolor and the other had Plasticote. I can't say that either manufacturer 'doesn't offer it', but what was in the rack wasn't close.

The "color match book" on the rack listed cars / years, but didn't show actual colors so I really don't know either manufacturers' full product offering (as the racks in the stores were not nearly representative of the total offerings in the book)

I could go to a body shop with a sample and have a quart mixed up via the DuPont Chroma system, but I **REALLY** do not want to use my gun / compressor for such a small job....

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, their paint is expensive, but it's a perfect OEM match. If you saw the restored motors on their site, you would be like "Wow I want my motor that nice" LOL I gotta buy a couple cans from him, for my 1941 Johnson HD a little later on this fall.

You can also try Sea-Way Marine or Engine Blade and Prop. These guys seem to have a great stock of parts and stuff for these old classics.

What motor is that? It looks like a 1953 Super Fastwin.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I look at it this way. Get it close and enjoy the motor. Who are we to say that the color is or isn't EXACT. 60 years of exposure to UV, humidity, airborne chemicals, etc. can affect the color of even the most well preserved old outboard specimen. Even back in the day you'd be hard pressed to find a motor built in April being the EXACT same color as one built in November. Paint formulations can vary, even within the same specifications. Find a color you like, and stick with it...

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Zepher: It's a 15012 '53 super fastwin. It's in rough shape, but I'll coax life out if it!

I'm torn: "do it right" (@ very expensive paint) vs. "I can get kinda close, sort of" with Duplicolor.

Lacking anything in between, I'll stew on my choices for a while. Until this engine shows signs of life, there's not much point in making any decision right now....

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I actually posted in that thread & said "Awesome color!!"

I bought a can of (what I thought was close) blue at Pep Boys and sprayed the tiller arm. It's darker than "original", lighter than Gwicher's and looks pretty cool, albeit not "right".

But....as stated..... what's "right", anyway? Might as well have some fun, right?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Just to throw in my 2 cents....

I have bought from Peter at NYMarine many times, his paint is always top quality. He has worked many hours and invested alot of money, hence the price. I prefer not to use the spray cans, but they do a pretty good job. He is a member of the Maple Leaf Chapter of the Antique Motor Club, so if anyone in the area goes to the local meets he brings the paint with him if you want to save yourself the shipping charges.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Zepher: It's a '53 super fastwin. It's in rough shape, but I'll coax life out if it!

I'm torn: "do it right" (@ very expensive paint) vs. "I can get kinda close, sort of" with Duplicolor.

Lacking anything in between, I'll stew on my choices for a while. Until this engine shows signs of life, there's not much point in making any decision right now....

If you intend to enter the motor in an AOMCI sanctioned meet, or just show the boat, then you want to have the exact color match. If you just want to paint it then any color will do.

I've done at least 30 motors with NYMarine paint. Some I show and some I don't. I've done a dozen more with Rustoleum (blacks and whites and reds), and yet a dozen more with Duplicolor. If Peter has a color I want, I'll buy it from him regardless of the price.

That paint is just awesome! Application quality, durability, user friendliness, texture and sheen are better than any paint I've ever used. If you think the Polychromatic blue is nice, you should see what the '50's Johnson green looks like!

Dulicolor looks OK, but NYM looks outstanding. To me the extra 10 bucks is worth it. For primer, just buy a can from NAPA. As far as decals are concerned. NYM beats the competition as well. Not true laquor waterslide, but they are much more durable and easier to apply. (and the judge won't know the difference.)

The '53 Big Twin on the boat is early polychromatic blue. The Fastwin on the stand is the later version.

Attachments

• P5232994web.jpg
    P5232994web.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1844.jpg
    IMG_1844.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 3

lindy46

Captain

BRP still makes it, I believe. Bought some a few years ago at a Johnnyrude Dealer. PN 771259.

Attachments

• Paint.jpg
    Paint.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 2

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

Mark, my '54 Fastwin looks a lot rougher than yours. No actual damage, just too many yrs in the sun. I hope to give it a paint job this winter. I had to replace the coils last yr and it purrs like a kitten on cream. If the insulation on your coils is cracked bad, they're eventually going to start giving you trouble.
Mike

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I appreciate all of the info.

I've started a few other threads about this engine, so no need to repeat everything, but this was my Grandmother's engine. It left my hands years ago, and I lost track of it. It wound up languishing behind some guy's garage, laying in the mud for 20 years. But I got it back 3 weeks ago.

Coils, condensers, points....all being replaced. It was frozen, all scraped up......a mess.

But I'm a "tool turnin' guy", and I'm certain I can make it purr.....

I'm leaning towards the "good paint", because I'll be most likely getting decals from him as well. I want to do this "just once", so why not go all the way?

A question about his decals: are they stickers or waterslides? I've read his website, and I'm pretty sure I don;t understand.....

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

It's a 1953 classic. It deserves to be torn down and restored. :D The old Fastwins are one of the best motors ever built and very reliable.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

They are stickers. Where there are multiple individual letters they are on a backer so that they are all added in perfect spacing.

http://www.americanoutboard.com/ sells the true water slides. I have bought many sets from them as well. But if Peter has the one I want I prefer the stickers. Placement is a little more critical, but the water slides are so brittle that they tear real easy.

The "proper" procedure is to clearcoat the decal only, not the whole engine. I use a brush and any hobby store sells fuel proof clear enamel. Once topcoated, you can't tell whether they were stickers or water slide.

Oh, and BRP oem paint is also an excellent choice. But its real hard to find. I have 3 E/J dealers in town and none of them carry paint for the classics.

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've been to americanoutboard.com and, for *my model*, either the website is wrong or the product offering is wrong. While I'd prefer a waterslide, I'll go with the stickers from nymarine because I can see that what I'm buying is accurate.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I've been to americanoutboard.com and, for *my model*, either the website is wrong or the product offering is wrong. While I'd prefer a waterslide, I'll go with the stickers from nymarine because I can see that what I'm buying is accurate.

Call them and tell them what you have. Maybe need to send a pic. They seem to have everything, even though the pic on the link might not be right. Also, even though it may show a 5 pc set, if yours needs 7 pcs, they may have the extras and they usually will include them.

AOMCI members get a discount as well.

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ask your dealer to order you a spray aerosol can of the OEM paint from BRP, don't mess with anything else, as the OEM paint is perfect and correct. It's fast drying, so apply in several thin coats rather than one heavy one. I just got some for $7.99, and that's a good deal. It's also for sale on the internet as well, try IBoats! Why pay $25-35 a can for custom mixed alkyd (decals dont stick to it either) which is non UV resistant and needs a clear top coat when OEM fuel and UV proof paint is availlable for under $10/can? Besisdes, the custom mixed paint only lasts a few months in the can.