Evinrude 50 Shift Problems

netsomnia

Cadet
Model: E50TLEOD<br />SN: G03917357<br />2 Cylinder<br />Original Prop 12 1/2x13<br /><br />I am having problems shifting in reverse. It slips out. Every boat mechanic I talk to mentioned the clutch dog wear.<br /><br />I'm skeptical because if I adjust the shift cable I have reverse without slippage but then forward slips.<br /><br />I replaced the shift cable today and followed recommendations from Seloc and another manual I bought from Auto Zone. I don't have confidence that the cable will fix my problem.<br /><br />Is it really the clutch dog that's slipping? Why won't a cable fix this? I'm praying the new cable I put on will work.

Mod2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude 50 Shift Problems

Moving to Johnson/Evinrude Repair forum.

ob

Admiral

Disconnect the existing cable from the shift linkage.Move the shift arm(under motor cover) into the neutral position.You should be able to feel the position change detents.The hole in the shift arm link and the hole in the cable clevis should be aligned.If not,adjust the cable trunion unitl the holes align and reinsert the pin.<br /><br />(note..any time you are attempting to shift controls with the engine 'not running ' you need to turn the prop while shifting to prevent binding.)~<br /><br />Does the engine pop out of gear while running on the hose or with the boat in the water?If on the hose,try manually shifting by just using the shift arm with the cable disconnected from the shift linkage.<br /><br />If you still have shift problems ,You have a worn out cable that is allowing excessive stretch or the shift dawg is worn from shifting into gear slowly and will need attention.

netsomnia

Cadet

Hey OB,<br /><br />Thanks for the quick reply. That was less than a few minutes! I didn't expect that but I have been coming here without a login for several months and found good advice without posting my problems.<br /><br />So far I have only been in the water trying to adjust with the old cable. I'm looking forward to trying it in the morning -- maybe with ear muffs first.<br /><br />With the old cable it would slip out of gear either in forward or reverse so I would adjust the cable on the water and try it. I always got good forward responde and barely reverse -- it would slip out of reverse with more RPM's. If I adjusted more towards the reverse side it would slip out of <br />forward gear and vice versa. <br /><br />When I put the new cable on today I move the control as far back as it would go and lined up the new shift cable connector with the lever. I tested it by manually turning the prop and it seems pretty tight in forward and reverse. <br /><br />Tomorrow I think I'll try it with ear muffs before I actually take it out on the lake.

ob

Admiral

Just remember,with the boat controls in the neutral position and the shift arm (with cable clevis off)in the neutral position ,the cable clevis and the shift arm holes should be aligned before inserting pin.Any adjustment necessary to attain this ,you make with the cable trunion.This assures a full travel shift into reverse and forward.Once this is adjusted with the new cable ,if you still have it slip out of forward or reverse,you got a shifting dawg problem.<br />Good luck.

netsomnia

Cadet

I didn't have it in neutral when I put the new cable on today -- I had it in reverse. Do you think <br />I should start over in nuetral tomorrow?

ob

Admiral

I would.Were both the shift arm and the controls in reverse when you installed the cable?

netsomnia

Cadet

Admiral:<br /><br />Yes. Both the shift arm on the motor and the OMC remote control were in reverse. I moved the OMC remote control arm to the first reverse detent. Then I adjusted the barrel until the clevis hole of the shift arm lined up with the clevis hole of the shift cable. <br /><br />After that I tested it by taking it out of reverse with the remote control, moved it to forward while turning the prop by hand back to reverse again.

ob

Admiral

Only thing left to do now is to give her a test run and see if she'll stay in gear.Post back with your results.

netsomnia

Cadet

I put my boat in the water and as I expected it wouldn't go into reverse. I ended having to let the wind blow me to the dock. At the dock I began adjusting the shift cable without unhooking the throttle or the shift levers from the cables. I simply pulled the barrel out of its slot and began turning a few more turns. I finally got it to work in both forward and reverse and I thought I had really nailed it down this time. <br /><br />Unfortunately the next day it started slipping out of reverse again. I didn't think to check for fishing line and I tried to adjust it in again. I left it roughly adjusted for forward and reverse is better than forward. This weekend I'll be sure and check for fishing line again -- the lake is heavily fished.<br /><br />I'm shopping for lower units again. I wonder if I could get by with just the reverse gear and the clutch dog in my current lower unit. That way I could save cost and I wouldn't need to think about adjusting the pinion gear, would I? It's my understanding if you don't remove the pinion gear you don't need to adjust it. <br /><br />What's the bare minimum I could by with in a lower unit? If I remove the pinion gear are there tools available to help adjust it back in? I have a Clymer manual with the tolerances.

ob

Admiral

What I would do at this point is to remove the lower unit and begin the dismantling as per manual instructions.You will likely find that the forward and reverse gear lobes have been rounded which will cause the slipping out of gear issue.<br /><br />As a rule,and I'm sure others may have differing opinions,but gears should be replaced as a set,as they become wear meshed over time and replacing just one can cause problems.<br /><br />Once you get it tore down and are able to determine whether one gear,both gears,the clutch dawg,or a combination of the three being worn is causing the slipping problem ,you can plan your attack at a solution.<br /><br />Post back with your findings.Sorry that it wasn't something as easy as a cable adjustment.Bare in mind that slow hesitant shifting of the controls is a major contributor of worn down gear lobes.Always shift briskly into gear from neutral.

netsomnia

Cadet

ob:<br /><br />Would you believe that I am still getting by with the same motor and lower unit until now? This motor decided it was going to shift properly after I took your advice about shifting briskly and messing with the cable some more. On July 3rd this year I was cruising at WOT and the motor started winding out. It didn't sound like a clutch dog going out so I checked the prop right away. I was thinking it was a spun prop after all of the stories I have heard here. Then I remembered my propulse 4-blade composite prop doesn't have a hub in it like my old aluminum prop. Maybe it is cracked? I called it a day that day.<br /><br />What do you think? Do you think it is finally time for me to pull that old lower unit off and get to work? What is involved with changing the clutch dog and gears without the professional tools? I suppose I should go ahead and add a seal kit while I am at it too.<br /><br />I wonder if a simple lube change would get me by for a while longer? What about a shift shaft adjustment? Would that give me more throw?<br /><br />I have a bass tourney coming up on July 23 that I want to be ready for.<br /><br />If you are still around I appreciate your advice again this year.

netsomnia

Cadet

Last night I changed the lower lube in my motor in a last ditch effort to get a little more life out of it. <br /><br />There is an obvious vibration coming from every other few prop rotations now. It seems to be shifting into forward and reverse okay again. I think the vibration has been there for quite a while but the composite prop has given me more life out of my lower unit than I expected. I am planning on purchasing a spare when I get a chance. <br /><br />How much longer should I run it this way? Is this going to damage the head in any way if I am only idling around the lake? If I had a spare I would swap it out immediately but I want to go a little longer this month and get the spare next month. Should I save it for one last bass tournament this month or can I run it a few more times for catfishing too?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You still didn't make the cable adjustment correctly as was suggested. Put the control box in neutral. Put the linkage on the engine in neutral. Hold the cable end in the linkage and adjust the trunion until the holes line up. Insert the pin. If you have to move anything to get the pin in, its still not adjusted correctly.