Evinrude 50 impeller

Rob406

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What is the purpose of the OMC Adhesive M on the “water pump housing to impeller plate o ring”? I see others are using a bellows adhesive or even weatherstrip adhesive. RTV would be a poor substitute in this case and also takes like 24 hrs to cure …

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sometimes an adhesive is used to hold parts in position during assembly.-----Once assembled they serve no purpose.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, Rob, you asked for substitutes for the OMC stuff, and we have given them. It sounds like you don't believe us, so use whatever you want.

Rob406

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Gee, Rob, you asked for substitutes for the OMC stuff, and we have given them. It sounds like you don't believe us, so use whatever you want.
Chris, “use whatever you want” is the answer most have provided. Yes i would prefer to use something I have on hand, i’d also not like to find out in the middle of the lake that I made a mistake. Just trying to gain some knowledge here. At $35/5 oz tube, and also not readily available, i am trying to figure out what’s so special about the recommended product. These are the reasons why I am questioning the alternative options. I do have several on hand so would just like to find the best one to use. And thank you for all the help so far. This seems to be one of the more complicated impellers i have come across, with the handful of seals and sealants/more chance to mess something up. Of course my manual leaves more questions than answers.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I gave you the substitutions. I even advised on where they should be used. They are readily available and reasonable in price.

Rob406

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Gee, I gave you the substitutions. I even advised on where they should be used. They are readily available and reasonable in price.
Again, i appreciate the help Chris. I went ahead and dropped the LU. I can see where it is needed now and why it is not imperative. That said i think i will go with the weatherstrip adhesive as it should set up faster. This is what appears was on the old assembly.

Rob406

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Also, she is pretty torched. Glad i dug in.

Attachments

• IMG_7778.jpeg
    IMG_7778.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

Rob406

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I’ve got everything back together per the manual. The drive shaft is VERY hard to turn (clockwise) by hand. Using all my strength i can barely turn it. Is this normal??? If i back off the 4 bolts it turns easier. Torquing to 80 in lb.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
It should be stiff, but turnable by hand. Make sure you use the correct key, as a lot of water pump kits have two. My J150EXECD uses the green one. The keys are wedge shaped, and impeller should be pretty loose before turning the driveshaft CW, which locks it tight. Make sure the oring under the impeller fits into it's groove. Make sure the impeller contacts the wearplate. Make sure the cup is all the way installed into the pump cover. My 150 has a d shaped oring in the pump cover. I presume you have the same?

Rob406

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It should be stiff and we don't know how strong you are.
35 y/o construction worker used hand tools all my life, have pretty good grip strength. The manual said to lube the insert which i did. I took the cover back off to find the impeller dragging pretty good on the plate (no lube), to which i lubed and it definitely turned much easier although still a good bit of resistance. It was late. I think i may have compromised the bottom gasket by doing this

Rob406

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It should be stiff, but turnable by hand. Make sure you use the correct key, as a lot of water pump kits have two. My J150EXECD uses the green one. The keys are wedge shaped, and impeller should be pretty loose before turning the driveshaft CW, which locks it tight. Make sure the oring under the impeller fits into it's groove. Make sure the impeller contacts the wearplate. Make sure the cup is all the way installed into the pump cover. My 150 has a d shaped oring in the pump cover. I presume you have the same?
Thanks Chris. Yes the key is wedge shaped. Took a few tries getting the impeller to seat onto it. It is however the same key design that came out of it. Everything is oriented correctly. Yes i have the D shaped o ring in the cover. The manual states to install impeller into the insert, install the oring on the driveshaft and the keyway on the driveshaft, and drop the cover/impeller assembly onto to the driveshaft. It does state to add a light coat of oil on to the insert but nothing on the plate, o ring, or anything else. Pretty sure this is where resistance was felt. Everything else the impeller is dragging on is bone dry. Worried i may have compromised the bottom gasket by popping the cover multiple times. I had this kit sitting on the shelf from last year. If i did it over it would be a breeze.

One strange thing. My OE kit had an extra o ring - the one that goes into the bottom of the impeller. Checked schematics and cannot find the extra o ring so it must be an extra but it threw me for a loop. Unless i am missing something ?

Rob406

Petty Officer 2nd Class
and impeller should be pretty loose before turning the driveshaft CW, which locks it tight.
Impeller fits into insert quite tight (blades bent back) before even dropping it on to DS. This seems to match pic in manual although they are not great pics.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The gasket will be fine.-----It takes an amazing amount of effort to turn that impeller !