Evinrude 50 impeller

Rob406

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all, i am setting up to change the impeller on my 1995 evinrude 50 outboard. I have a complete oem kit, a manual. I have done one in the past but first time on this motor.

The manual calls for a specific sealant (or equivalent) - can i substitute with something more readily available? I don’t have the manual in front of me ATM.

Any other tips? Pics of homemade lower unit cradles possibly? Also where is the thermostat located?

I bought some parts last year and just getting around to things now

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I use substitutes on my '98 Johnny. The gasket under the wearplate gets Permatex Aviation instead of OMC Gasket Sealing compound. Ditto for the SS cup that fits into the pump cover.

The oring between the ss insert and the pump cover gets 4 drops of silicone caulk/RTV instead of OMC Adhesive M Sealant

I use a good marine grease in place of OMC triple-guard grease or OMC Moly Lube, for the oring under the impeller and on the rubber seal in the water tube, as well as any other orings or rubber seals.

I use locktite in place of OMC ultra lock, although, this is not used on waterpump rebuilds.

Rob406

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I use substitutes on my '98 Johnny. The gasket under the wearplate gets Permatex Aviation instead of OMC Gasket Sealing compound. Ditto for the SS cup that fits into the pump cover.

The oring between the ss insert and the pump cover gets 4 drops of silicone caulk/RTV instead of OMC Adhesive M Sealant

I use a good marine grease in place of OMC triple-guard grease or OMC Moly Lube, for the oring under the impeller and on the rubber seal in the water tube, as well as any other orings or rubber seals.

I use locktite in place of OMC ultra lock, although, this is not used on waterpump rebuilds.
Permatex #3? The brown sticky stuff?

When you say “marine grease” would any multi purpose grease work, such as red bearing grease?

On the RTV, what color RTV are you referring to? I think I like the idea of RTV better than silicone caulk. I do believe “OMC Adhesive M” is what was listed in the manual …

Thanks for the reply

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Permatex Aviation can be for almost all applications.-----That motor really is not high tech and small leaks around water pump are not critical.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The Permatex Aviation gasket stuff is the one with a brush on the cap. I think it is indeed #3.

I use Marine grease because it is resistant to saltwater. Any decent grease would likely work.

I usually use high temp RTV silicone, but silicone caulk works fine.

Gee, I never said copper water tube. I meant to use the grease on the rubber seal that contacts the water tube.

Rob406

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The Permatex Aviation gasket stuff is the one with a brush on the cap. I think it is indeed #3.

I use Marine grease because it is resistant to saltwater. Any decent grease would likely work.

I usually use high temp RTV silicone, but silicone caulk works fine.

Gee, I never said copper water tube. I meant to use the grease on the rubber seal that contacts the water tube.
Thanks. Fresh water use only here. I think i have some black RTV (oil resistant) on hand, would that work?

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Any miracle goo in a tube but best to use marine grade.

I find these work well to hold the gearcase if needed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240613-063644.png
    Screenshot_20240613-063644.png
    738 KB · Views: 1

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I expect that RTV would work.

I use a plain old vice with two pieces of wood to clamp the skeg. Not as good as a workmate.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK, for extra credit, what former Dallas Cowboy used to hawk the Workmates? I guess that advertising worked on me.

I had one but gave it to mi BIL. I wonder if he ever used it.

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My grandfather taught me to never loan tools to anyone. I guess that’s why I still have all his.
His most valuable lesson was to never loan your friends money. Sadly I had to learn that lesson the hard way.

Rob406

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Chris, or anyone, my manual calls for:

-OMC Gasket Sealing Compound on OD of impeller insert

-OMC Adhesive M on groove for water pump housing to impeller plate o ring

-OMC Adhesive M on both sides of impeller plate gasket

So just a general consensus, I am ok to substitute OMC Gasket Sealing Compound with Permatex Aviation Sealant, and substitute OMC Adhesive M with Black RTV? Does it need to be heat resistant?

saltchuckmatt

Commander
I use snot....with dirt.

I loan and borrow my friends tools constantly. Always returned better than when I or they got them.

It's a West Coast thing! 😆

Seriously though, if it's a nice motor, go by the book. If it's one that you brought back to life with an unknown life expectations? Use whatever.

My go to is copper form a gasket in a tub with a brush hooked to the cap.

Rob406

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I use snot....with dirt.

I loan and borrow my friends tools constantly. Always returned better than when I or they got them.

It's a West Coast thing! 😆

Seriously though, if it's a nice motor, go by the book. If it's one that you brought back to life with an unknown life expectations? Use whatever.

My go to is copper form a gasket in a tub with a brush hooked to the cap.
I have ultra copper in a tube but i am not sure if it has actual copper content (not good for aluminum contact)? I have multiple types of rtv on hand and also the aviation sealer. Never seeing the oem stuff i have nothing to compare it to.

Also anyone know where to disconnect the shift linkage? Having trouble finding it. Behind the starter possibly?

Last edited:

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Also, down above the midsection....follow the lincage I believe....been a while since I worked on that size.

I have one, I'll look at it.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
My grandfather taught me to never loan tools to anyone. I guess that’s why I still have all his.
His most valuable lesson was to never loan your friends money. Sadly I had to learn that lesson the hard way.
From TEMU
1718363417420.png