Evinrude 50 horse- won't start

raysea

Recruit
we have a 1982 50 horse evinrude motor that just won't start. have replaced the ignition coils with 2 new ones, also the plugs, new battery, and gas line- compression is real good, turns over fine but won't start. is there something that i've missed? Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evinrude 50 horse- won't start

Howdy, RaySea.<br /><br />Please do not take this personally, but changing a lot of parts is a very bad way to troubleshoot a problem. It ALWAYS gives you the wrong impression that something is working that has not been proven to work.<br /><br />Step one is to isolate which of the required factors to start the engine is missing.<br /><br />1. Ignition. Remove the spark plugs, short the threads to the block and turn the engine over. Strong, blue spark from both plugs?<br /><br />2. Fuel/air mix in the cylinders. With a spray bottle, spray some fuel mix into both carbs before starting. Does it try to start?<br /><br />3. Compression. Check compression if you have a guage. If not, stick your finger in the sparkplug holes and see if the pistons will blow it out.<br /><br />Now you know which system to attack.<br /><br />No spark? Check the Neutral Start switch in your control box. Is the control in Neutral? Check your MOB safety Kill Switch. Is the "Y" clip properly installed?<br /><br />Tries to start when given extra fuel, but wont stay running? Check entire fuel supply system, from the vent on the tank cap to the fuel pump for restrictions, air leaks or water contamination.<br /><br />See if the fuel pump will squirt fuel into a bottle from its outlet. If not, overhaul it.<br /><br />That's enough for now.<br /><br />Let us know what you find. :)

USS Neversail

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Evinrude 50 horse- won't start

Hey, ray . . .<br /><br />You and I have a similar motor. Mine is the '83 50 hp. Let me know what you think of it. I just got my boat and am fixing it up now. I hope I get a good review from you on it. ;-)<br />I'll let you know what I think of mine as soon as I get everything running.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Jason