evinrude 40hp playing up

pro_hunter

Cadet
Hi guys

i ahve a evinrude 40hp engine and which for the time i have owned the boat it has been fantastic, however for some reason it doesnt want to play games anymore :(

whats happening is the maximum speed i can now get from the engine is 5 knts to were it should be pushing 20 - 24 knts. The engine revs fine on idle and on tick over but as soon as i go into gear the engine seems as though it doesnt want to go and on fuill throttl;e it will only give me 5knts ?? i have done everything that i though it was changed all the fuel changed sparkplug leads, sparkplugs, cleaned carb, and all filters and just nothing at all.

has anyone come accross this or does anyone have a fix for this ?? i was thinking of paying to have it serviced well downt wanna pay silly money to get it sorted id rather sell it and get a 4stroke if its gonna cost into the hundreds to get it fixed :(

last time it was serviced last year it cost me just under ?300 to get it sorted but thenm it was running sweet up until now.

please anyone any help would be gratefull

Jay

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude 40hp playing up

Year of 40hp? (You don't say). If equipped with high speed jets, clean them manually with a piece of single strand steel wire.

Tick over? What is tick over?

Things to do yourself:

Buy compression gauge and check compression. What is it?

Check spark. Magneto ignition = 1/4" gap, CD ignition = 7/16" gap.

(Spark Tester - Home Made)
(J. Reeves)

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a few finishing nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere. Use small alligator clips on the other end of the wires to connect to ground and to the spark plug connector that exists inside of the rubber plug boot.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4

Spark plugs: Magneto Ign = Champion J6C, gap .030, CD Ign = Champion QL77JC4, gap .040 .

pro_hunter

Cadet
Re: evinrude 40hp playing up

ive just been down to the boat and all i can get is the model number :- SE40RSLS i cant get the serial number as for some reason there is a dent in the plate and i cannot make it out.

i still havent sorted this prob yet any further info would be greatfull thanks