Evinrude 40 hp tiller wont go into reverse

maineiac5586

Senior Chief Petty Officer
New to me 1988 evinrude 40 hp tiller longshaft. Shifts ok into forward but won't fully engage reverse. When putting into reverse prop makes a ratcheting sound when turning by hand. I disconnected shift linkage at motor under carbs. I pushed on the shift shaft with long nose pliers while turning the prop and seems Ike it won't go down any further. I know I need to drop the lower and try that again to be sure. Gear oil had a small amount of metallic in it. If it turns out to Bea worn clutch dog is that further in the housing than what I would be able to access by pulling the propshaft and carrier out? I've had the carrier out on 49 hp before so I know how to do that. I am in the process of locating a service manual. Thanks for any insight you provide.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove lower unit.----Measure shift rod height.----Post that value.-----Set correct shift rod height.----Test run.

maineiac5586

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Remove lower unit.----Measure shift rod height.----Post that value.-----Set correct shift rod height.----Test run.
Thanks. Is there a schematic showing where to measure? Is it from the very tip down to where it enters the metal cover? And measure in neutral?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I think you need to google this concept.----I have done this job / simple procedure many times.----Best to learn on your own.----Sorry.