Evinrude 40 help

2mate

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi there.
On my 1976 40hp pull start evinrude i cannot get it to start. It has had points re gapped, new coils and is sparking well. There is fuel getting in but when it fires fuel pours out of the carb. It has had a new carb kit but i am unsure of the float settings.
Could that be the starting issue?
Cheers

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude 40 help

It looks as if the float is not shutting the fuel flow off properly. The float should be parallel with the carb body when the carb is upside-down.

2mate

Petty Officer 1st Class

The float is parralell :S It wont even fire now but there are sparks on both cylinders.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

The float and needle/seat in the carb controls the fuel flow, recheck and see if you have a small piece of something not letting the needle close off fuel to the carb.

2mate

Petty Officer 1st Class

Checked again today float looks fine its level with the bowl. It fires then wont fire or run again.

lindy46

Captain

Is it a new float? I usually bend the float arm up ever so slightly (with the carb upside down) so that it closes a little sooner and does not overfill the bowl. With the carb reassembled and upside down, no air should get through if you blow into the gas inlet.

2mate

Petty Officer 1st Class

The float is new yes. Should i bend it so it is slightly higher than level?

lindy46

Captain

Yes, when it is upside down. That actually makes it shut off the needle when the float bowl is not quite so full that it overflows. Make sure the needle is closing properly by the test mentioned above.